Silkie thread!

If male and female both carry the smooth (barbed) feather gene, a smooth feathered chick would occur on occasion for sure. I think she looks like a silkie crossed with a White Sultan because of her mulberry comb and wattles. Her smooth feathers looks like she is a cross to my eyes. Phenotype if you will. Though her genotype is silkie. I used to raise bearded Sultans. They have a V comb. Sultans also have five toes. Chicken genetics are so interesting and so much is still unknown. I love anomalies and your pictured hen is beautiful regardless of the genetic soup.
Thanks, if anyone else had bred her I would have said she had polish in her, but I bred her and she was definitely from my white silkies. An anomaly ! I've never seen a sultan , they look interesting.
I have Sultans but my rooster doesn't quite like the one in the picture.

Quote: Those streamers are all boy, I had a cockerel similar to him who was so, so girly as a cockerel! His streamers gave him away though. He's all boy now though, crowing, mating, doing all sorts of roosterly deeds
smile.png
The comb keeps getting larger until they turn about a year, although some seem to continue getting larger for longer.
These first two are cockerel pictures, the third is more recent. He's about a year and a half now.

Those streamers are all boy, I had a cockerel similar to him who was so, so girly as a cockerel! His streamers gave him away though. He's all boy now though, crowing, mating, doing all sorts of roosterly deeds :) The comb keeps getting larger until they turn about a year, although some seem to continue getting larger for longer. These first two are cockerel pictures, the third is more recent. He's about a year and a half now.
Yes, it's as though they lose their fluff and flatten back in the swoosh.
This little guys hat was hilarious , the way it flopped around but now it lays down like his daddy's.

My Casper was like that as a 4 month old. I really thought he was a little girl for sure until the streamers came out. Now he is for sure all boy!

Him on far left and his siblings. There were 5 total. 2 girls 3 boys. This pic sort of shows that sexing them at this age is impossible. lol

As a 3 month old ??girl?? HA

Egads!!............streamers!!!

5 months............ALL BOY!

Silkies are for sure the hardest breed to sex I think!

My Casper was like that as a 4 month old. I really thought he was a little girl for sure until the streamers came out. Now he is for sure all boy! Him on far left and his siblings. There were 5 total. 2 girls 3 boys. This pic sort of shows that sexing them at this age is impossible. lol As a 3 month old ??girl?? HA Egads!!............streamers!!! 5 months............ALL BOY! Silkies are for sure the hardest breed to sex I think!
He is gorgeous , and he knows it!

Back
Top Bottom