Silkie thread!

I had a sizzle from pure parents. Only ever happened once , but it does happen.

She looked like a polish.
did you post the wrong picture? I don't see a sizzle.

Is that the only possibility when you get a smooth silkie? That the drizzle gene is involved? I thought smooth/fluff and straight/fizzle were two genes independent of eachother?
I found this in a google search. It explains what's going on in the feather mutation better than I could.

"The Frizzle gene (F) is incompletely dominant, with exhibition quality Frizzles usually with one dose only of the Frizzle gene (F/f+).
But there is a frizzle modifying gene (mf) which is recessive. The mf gene when homozygous (two doses) is a strong modifier of the frizzle trait. Birds with one dose of the frizzle gene (F/f+) & two doses of the modifying gene (mf/mf) may appear predominantly smooth, & may be mistaken for non-frizzle (& not of exhibition quality). Frizzle birds homozygous for both F & mf (F/F mf/mf) may be mistaken for heterozygous F/f+ (one dose of Frizzle gene) with no modifiers (Mf+/Mf+). It is mentioned in the Hutt book that this mf gene is very common in non-frizzled breeds."

NEED ADVICE.

I have a hen sizzle who has tonight gone broody. Been on eggs since 10am. But 6 hours after an egg was la7d. Could my other hen lay it. But the only other hen had chicks who are 1.5mo. Idk what's going on. But I was getting bad eggs out. Since I've noticed last few days she sleeps on them but never stayed at night. 14 eggs were laid. 3 were rotten. I candle the other to see if they were rotten and I see 2 have nice veins and heartbeat. I'm so c9nfused. Why would she still lay eggs....Ahhhhhhhhh lol

Back
Top Bottom