Silkie thread!

I know it is hard to cull your chickens. I did the same thing Friday with three of my rooster that I have raised. I had four roosters to four hens I know I had thin out the roos. They were tearing the feathers off my hens and it is getting colder those girls will need every feather they got

His two brothers got along great today and I couldn't get over how quiet things were.
We've got a Buff Orp roo that came with three pullets and we're going to invite him to Thanksgiving if you know what I mean, but I hate to kill what we don't eat and Monty was something I couldn't bring myself to serve up on the table.

His two brothers got along great today and I couldn't get over how quiet things were.
We've got a Buff Orp roo that came with three pullets and we're going to invite him to Thanksgiving if you know what I mean, but I hate to kill what we don't eat and Monty was something I couldn't bring myself to serve up on the table.

I was a teenager when I brought home two Pekin ducklings from a carnival. When they reached the right age for slaughter my Mom served them up at the table! To this day I can't eat duck meat without the painful memory of those two little cute ducklings growing up to be table meat! She had to eat those ducks alone!

I was a teenager when I brought home two Pekin ducklings from a carnival.  When they reached the right age for slaughter my Mom served them up at the table!  To this day I can't eat duck meat without the painful memory of those two little cute ducklings growing up to be table meat!  She had to eat those ducks alone!

When my hubby was growing up in the UK, times were hard and his mum served up his pet rabbit.

My Wife and I made rule we do not eat what we name. So those roos did not get named lol.

When I started using pine shavings, my chicks cleaned up on their own. I guess they just need dryness... I was using puppy pads and they would get their mash food and poop all over themselves, foot soak needed then! After I switched to pine shavings, I just remove any that gets wet and they started fluffing up nicely.

Actually Polish are in the "Continental" class from the uppermost Northern Mediterranean area but thanks for the dialogue.  That's cute that your Silkie went after your blue shoes!  They are such characters!  I have one Silkie hen that sits on my shovel when I'm digging in the garden.  I have to fence her from my work so she doesn't get hurt.

I can't believe you could understand what I was saying with my phone auto correct adding odd words.

I went out today in my boots with no incident. The Silkie I raised here are always under foot. I'm afraid I will accidentally step on one of them.

I rehomed the last Polish roo I had. I told the boy who wanted him he was mean. He seemed to think he could tame him. LOL. I just said "good luck with that." I had tried everything. I have 5 more juveniles growing out and they all seem sweet. They too stay underfoot and want to climb all over me. The hens I've had have been my favorite of the flock.

My Silkie and bantam free range with the LF flock, but the big birds sleep in the barn and the bantam have their coops. Although tonight I had to pull a Silkie out of the D'anver house and another out if the d'Uccle house. 99% of the time they go in the right house to roost.

I had a Sultan roo hit puberty and go crazy too. He would stalk my kids across the yard. I rehomed him to a coworker who has no kids and he has calmed down some being the only roo in the flock.

Last edited:
Thats really good information about the different breeds! The more I read the more I realize that chickens are nothing like ducks. I have re-homed a bunch of my ducks because i didnt like their personality. it always helps the flock to get rid of the scared of trouble makers in our yard.

Thanks! she is a golden laced smooth sizzle. And its fine, it just takes time!
Thanks for all the replies. what a pretty bird the sizle is. is she small like a silkie? is she friendly?
I did the deed this morning although it broke my heart to do it.
Sounds like you did the right thing for your flock.

Is my splash a boy? I think he is but not 100% sure.
He sure is pretty! I am new at this but I read that head streamers are usually on boys.

When my hubby was growing up in the UK, times were hard and his mum served up his pet rabbit.
I had a girl friend growing up that had her pet rabbit eaten by her father. it ruined their relationship and scared her for life.

Do any of you vaccinate your chickens?

Back
Top Bottom