Silkie thread!

OMG! You sound like me! We harvest rainwater for my garden and plan on increasing our rainwater harvesting this year since I want to expand the garden, and we've already begun planning the addition of a water harvesting system on our new coop so the chickens get to drink rainwater as much as possible. My current flock actually prefers the rainwater to tap water. I also don't feed soy or GMO, canola, or even corn to my chickens. After spending fifteen years researching nutrition and seeing what's been done to alter corn I just can't bring myself to eat it anymore, not feed it to my pets/chickens.

I know, even if I grow non-hybrid corn to have a heritage crop it's not a guarantee my neighbor's GMO hybrid corn crop won't cross-pollinate with mine -- thanks to Monsanto and Dupont who have paid to have agricultural laws enacted to fine anyone whose crops have cross-pollinated with their patented GMO seeds. Supposedly GMO was meant to increase the hardiness and output of crops but after 20 years of study the gradual opposite is occurring!

Aww look at how adorable this frizzle silkie is getting. She is 5 weeks old. Just love her! Her whole body is a silver, with some brown icing over the tips, and I am soo excited for the dark crest coming in! She's by far one of my favorite :) And i'm betting she's a girl. Woo hoo!
big_smile.png

I'm a new silkie owner and my little silkie girl is amazing! I'm wondering though if anyone else has problems with their silkies not seeing well? She can't seem to see things around her well because her feathers are always in her eyes and she has problems finding her way around. I'm wondering what others have done about this? Should I trim her feathers so she can see more??

Aww look at how adorable this frizzle silkie is getting. She is 5 weeks old. Just love her! Her whole body is a silver, with some brown icing over the tips, and I am soo excited for the dark crest coming in! She's by far one of my favorite :) And i'm betting she's a girl. Woo hoo!
big_smile.png

She is so cute!!!!
love.gif
droolin.gif
And she definitely looks like a she. You're so lucky!

big_smile.png

I have a Frizzle Silkie the same color. She started looking like a self blue as a chick. Now the buff darkened a little on her as she grew up.

She lays about 5 eggs a week and is paired with a Red Silkie Rooster. (Their names are William and Kate)

I have hatched two of her eggs and the chicks where both self blue and frizzled.

I have a Frizzle Silkie the same color. She started looking like a self blue as a chick.  Now the buff darkened a little on her as she grew up. 

She lays about 5 eggs a week and is paired with a Red Silkie Rooster. (Their names are William and Kate) 

I have hatched two of her eggs and the chicks where both self blue and frizzled.

Do you have pics of her now and as a chick? She was both very blue & buff as a chick. Looked very porcelain. I'm thinking that's probably what she is. This was her as a chick.

I'm a new silkie owner and my little silkie girl is amazing! I'm wondering though if anyone else has problems with their silkies not seeing well? She can't seem to see things around her well because her feathers are always in her eyes and she has problems finding her way around. I'm wondering what others have done about this? Should I trim her feathers so she can see more??

You'll get 50 opinions about trimming crest feathers. I've had two bearded Silkies free-ranging for 3 years now and I've never trimmed their feathers. I got Silkies because of their fluffiness so why do I want to cut any of it off? My 2 girls can see fine. They actually trim each other's fluff around each other's eyes but I think it's the exception rather than the rule for Silkies to do that for each other! Anyway, our Silkies dig everywhere, go into places to forage where the LF don't fit and they come out with spider webs, debris, straw etc caught in their crests. It usually works its way clean by the end of the day but if the crests get really soiled I'll use a damp washcloth to get the stuff out of their fluff. They do a rather good job of getting around our yard and if they grow a really pouffy crest after molting they tilt their head to see overhead or behind them. No need to cut anything on the little fluff-balls unless you want to. My girls see fine with their bearded/crested feathers and it's not unusual for one of them to sound the barnyard alert if there's a Cooper's Hawk or stray cat around. If they really had limited vision then why would they be able to see enough to sound the barnyard alarm?

Last edited:
My Silkies get along just fine with there crests, they even on occasion free range (with supervision) and one of them wanders very far even into the woods. I do however trim crest feathers because it makes me feel better that they have clearer vision. On that note I do not show, if I were to have show Silkies I would not trim.

Back
Top Bottom