Silkie thread!

my 2 year old silkie hen feels fat and gasps when I pick her up. She acts fine. She was disgusting so I gave her a bath. When I picked her up some pink thing was sticking out of her rectum. Please help me.

seperate her watch her closely for eating drinking and eliminating. I didnt see anything that looked weird on her vent but maybe someone else can tell you and I will take notes. Good luck with her!

[COLOR=333333]my 2 year old silkie hen feels fat and gasps when I pick her up. She acts fine. She was disgusting so I gave her a bath. When I picked her up some pink thing was sticking out of her rectum. Please help me. [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [/quote I can't tell in the pics but she may have a prolapsed vent , if there is actually pink fleshy bits hanging out. In that case, apply some hemaroid cream and keep the area clean. The other alternative would be gleet. Best not to bath her as it will only further distress her. Just wash her back end. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt

Last edited:
Oh my goodness! I have a little pullet from a project half silkie pen that looks a lot like yours! She is half bantam Rhode Island Red and half Blue Partridge. I love her. :love
We may have a new breed, my bird looks the same. She is silkie mix with buff Japanese bantam.

Kami, how is your silkie doing? I've had a few chickens in the past that gasp if I hold them. I don't know if maybe something gets pressed against their lung when they're held, or it's just stress.

2 of mine got haircuts last night. One was one of those "OMG I can see!". She kept staring up, then spotted a weed and was jumping up at it . A totally different bird.

so far my broody has hatched two eggs and another has pipped today. one is another pure silkie with the same exact coloration of the one hatched a couple weeks ago although this one has a vaulted skull(the older one does not) the other chick that hatched today is approximately 75% silkie 12.5% ameraucana 12.5% other, its father was my pure black silkie rooster who is a bit hefty for a silkie and its mother is half silkie half easter egger (black skin, blue earlobes, slight crest, bearded, slate legs, 4 toes), it has very dark feet and legs the weird thing is it has five toes on one foot and four on the other

no didnt think of that since i treated the bedding with DE but i will do that now
[/quote

I would not use DE in the chicks bedding it can cause respiratory problems. I had some leg mites and used Frontline spray for kittens put in a dropper put 3 to 4 drops on back of neck. They are adults you would have to check into how young you can use it on.

Quote:
I didnt put it on the actual bedding they are in my tub and I put some in the tub then a towel and then the bedding. I do the same thing with my dog beds and put some in the cat litter before I put the litter in. It seems the more I read lately the more things seem to be the wrong thing to do I have had Chickens for 5 years and done loads of research things change every couple years IMHO I started using DE with a huge infestation of mites and nothing else for my ladies to dust in the ground was soaked. so I put it in the coop and on the worst infected chicks now I only use it for big deals and under bedding or litter. but it did work for the mites.

I didnt put it on the actual bedding they are in my tub and I put some in the tub then a towel and then the bedding. I do the same thing with my dog beds and put some in the cat litter before I put the litter in. It seems the more I read lately the more things seem to be the wrong thing to do I have had Chickens for 5 years and done loads of research things change every couple years IMHO I started using DE with a huge infestation of mites and nothing else for my ladies to dust in the ground was soaked. so I put it in the coop and on the worst infected chicks now I only use it for big deals and under bedding or litter. but it did work for the mites.
I've used DE for three years, got rid of my termite issue as well as a small mite infestation. The mites still live in the run, heck, they live everywhere in my yard... Except for the coops!

Back
Top Bottom