Silkie thread!

Hi! I'm considering getting silkies ; hoping to find a breed as sweet and docile as Faverolles. My only hesitation is that apparently silkies don't lay as often as favs?

Are there certain strains/Colors/varieties that lady better than others?

No, they are not the best layers. They go broody a LOT and lay tiny white eggs. If you're getting silkies, don't count on them for eggs. The best thing you could do is talk to breeders in your area and ask if their lines go broody often or if they're good layers. That's my advice at least.

One more question! I’ve been searching all over the web for clear photos of silkies vs frizzle silkies, and haven’t found any clear pictures!! Would any of you have pics that show the difference?

These pictures are the best ones I have that you can see the feathers. These are sizzles. The feathers are flat and curled. Frizzled silkies have the same curling except the feathers are shredded.

This is a frizzled silkie roo. The feathers are curled and shredded like silkies feathers. Hope this helps

I've got bad news about Sparrow. Yesterday she was doing great. Eatnig and drinking on her own. I decided to sleep in this morning and when I got up she was wedged between her waterer and cage wall. I pulled her out and she curled up like a pig tail. I put her in a towel after I straightened her out and quickly got the vitamins down her and while I was trying to feed her she died. I knew she was about to die but I couldn't just let her go without trying to help her live. I reckin whatever was wrong with her finally took it's toll.

It's so hard to see one die after trying so hard to keep her going. It wasn't long ago she was enjoying life and laying eggs. I want to thank everybody again for all the advice given when she was so sick back earlier this year.

@emvickery so sorry to hear that!
hugs.gif
me too. At least I was able to let her have some of her time on this earth happy and able to be a chicken.

Hi! I'm considering getting silkies ; hoping to find a breed as sweet and docile as Faverolles. My only hesitation is that apparently silkies don't lay as often as favs?

Are there certain strains/Colors/varieties that lady better than others?
I got into silkies several years ago. In my area, silkies aren't really in big demand. These people want laying hens not pretty fluffy pets. Silkies are good to keep around to use them as incubators. They go broody several times a year. They aren't reliable layers and their eggs are small. You have to use 2 or 3 in a recipie compared to 1 large egg. They are great to use in pickled eggs or deviled eggs. They are just one bite as a deviled egg compared to 2 or 3 bites of a large egg. I used to take them to the family dinners. Quail eggs are also great for the same reason but alot of work when making alot of deviled eggs.

I love silkies because they are so docile and generally love attention. Great as pets and fun to show. I found them to be high maintenance. They require alot more baths and grooming to keep them looking so lovely where regular chickens don't. You won't have mean roos. I've had a few but they are easy to break from it. If you plan to sell eggs, silkies are not a good choice, if you plan to sell hatching eggs, plan to have to ship them or get stuck with alot of eggs unless there are other silkie lovers in your area.

The best thing to do is to keep them healthy and free of parasites. Keep their living quarters clean and if you get white or light colored silkies keep them out of the sun or their feathers will turn yellow-ish and that don't wash out. Keep their feet and fanny's clean. They tend to get dirty butts beause of all the feathers. A build up will put weight on their skin and that is very irritating. If you use them for breeding it's best to either pluck their fanny feathers or trim them. You will end up with infertile eggs if you don't.

I am no expert on silkies. There are so many others here at byc that are. These are just a few of my observations and experiences with silkies.

Quote: I ended up trimming below their you know what. The poo would just build and build. The other thing that helped was a 4x4 on the ground to roost on. It kept their butt off the ground. Silkies stay a lot cleaner on sand. I live on sand and never had to bathe one.

Just one bite, huh!

Back
Top Bottom