Silkie thread!

My daughter left yesterday for her international choir tour to the Baltic States (4 countries in 2 weeks) so I told her to be sure none of the Silkie hens were hiding a nest anywhere. I can not even get inside their yard while off my feet waiting for surgery so I did not want any chicks hatching in the coop while she is gone.

I need to work on getting the yard set up for baby chicks since the coop is raised with steps for the hens rather than a ramp for chicks. Until it is modified to let the hens raise the hatchling chicks we need to collect the chicks (preferably while they are still eggs, lol) and brood them indoors.

So today my husband goes in the Silkie yard to feed and he hears chicks peeping, 4 still in the nest and 3 outside with the hen and no way to get back to the nest. He brought them in so they are in the hatching incubator now to make sure they did not get chilled with our overcast weather.

I have Easter Egger chicks (hatchery Ameraucana x Quechua) in the stage 1 brooder that will need to move to stage 2 in order to make room for these tiny chicks. I often keep Silkies in the hatcher longer than the larger hard feathered chicks so I can grind up the chick starter with a coffee grinder as they start eating to give them smaller bites the first week or two. I had 2 hatchling ducklings under 24 hours old to move out to make room for them.

We are supposed to be taking a break from incubator hatching while my daughter is on her trip so hopefully we don't have any chicks hatching the next two weeks. I did not even check toes to see if there are any pet quality ones that will need to go but I will do that after they are settled and off to a good start since I don't sell anything less than 3 days old.

I love raising baby chicks but with her gone while I am off my feet, I was not wanting new arrivals until she gets back. I may just end up selling them all but I prefer to let them go in groups of 4 or more so I either need to sell all 7 together or sell 4 and keep 3. Once I am on my feet again, I really need to get the Silkie coop set up for hatchlings. Right now we put our started chicks out there (hard feathers only so they can get up the steps) to grow out with the Silkie mamas to snuggle up to at night but I want to use the hens to brood hatchlings in the future since that is what Silkies do best.

My daughter left yesterday for her international choir tour to the Baltic States (4 countries in 2 weeks) so I told her to be sure none of the Silkie hens were hiding a nest anywhere. I can not even get inside their yard while off my feet waiting for surgery so I did not want any chicks hatching in the coop while she is gone.

I need to work on getting the yard set up for baby chicks since the coop is raised with steps for the hens rather than a ramp for chicks. Until it is modified to let the hens raise the hatchling chicks we need to collect the chicks (preferably while they are still eggs, lol) and brood them indoors.

So today my husband goes in the Silkie yard to feed and he hears chicks peeping, 4 still in the nest and 3 outside with the hen and no way to get back to the nest. He brought them in so they are in the hatching incubator now to make sure they did not get chilled with our overcast weather.

I have Easter Egger chicks (hatchery Ameraucana x Quechua) in the stage 1 brooder that will need to move to stage 2 in order to make room for these tiny chicks. I often keep Silkies in the hatcher longer than the larger hard feathered chicks so I can grind up the chick starter with a coffee grinder as they start eating to give them smaller bites the first week or two. I had 2 hatchling ducklings under 24 hours old to move out to make room for them.

We are supposed to be taking a break from incubator hatching while my daughter is on her trip so hopefully we don't have any chicks hatching the next two weeks. I did not even check toes to see if there are any pet quality ones that will need to go but I will do that after they are settled and off to a good start since I don't sell anything less than 3 days old.

I love raising baby chicks but with her gone while I am off my feet, I was not wanting new arrivals until she gets back. I may just end up selling them all but I prefer to let them go in groups of 4 or more so I either need to sell all 7 together or sell 4 and keep 3. Once I am on my feet again, I really need to get the Silkie coop set up for hatchlings. Right now we put our started chicks out there (hard feathers only so they can get up the steps) to grow out with the Silkie mamas to snuggle up to at night but I want to use the hens to brood hatchlings in the future since that is what Silkies do best.
Loved reading this post! What an amazing idea to put chick starter in a coffee grinder.

You'd be lucky to have a vaulted skull injury die.  The ones left with paralysis but still alive are the ones that will be heartbreaking to cull.  I have not seen a significant difference in crest fullness between extreme vaulted and/or normal skulled Silkies.  If it means less chance for permanent injury or death I prefer the flatter skulled birds.

Vaulted skulls pop up occasionally in my line, but I've never had any injuries or deaths.
As the birds mature the risk diminishes and I quite honestly can't pick them out of a line up.
Smaller birds do require a little more consideration at integration time, but as long as you are vigilant it can be done. :)

35375_silkie_with_chicks.jpg

This is one of my silkies with some chicks that she hatched for other hens. She's a great mum!

I realize that giving your silkie a regular haircut probably counts as sacrilege in these circles... but all our chickens free-range and therefore need to see where they're going. They always become much more agile after visiting the chicken barber /img/smilies/hide.gif

I never knew you could give a silkie a hair cut!

I just wanted to give you an update on tweety. She is doing so much better then yesterday. She is super active running around and chirping. It looks like my prayers were answered. Thank you so much. How is your chick doing?

Oh, I'm so glad Tweety is doing better!!! Sadly my little chick didn't make it.
1f61e.png
She just got weaker and weaker and she refused to eat. But I still thank God for the time I got to spend with her and for choosing me to be the one who got to love her and enjoy her for the short time I had her. I do really miss her, though! She was SO SWEET! She loved to be held and when I put my hand in the incubator she would hop right into it.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm so glad Tweety is doing better!!! Sadly my little chick didn't make it.
1f61e.png
She just got weaker and weaker and she refused to eat. But I still thank God for the time I got to spend with her and for choosing me to be the one who got to love her and enjoy her for the short time she was here. I do really miss her, though! She was SO SWEET! She loved to be held and when I put my hand in the incubator she would hop right into it.

Back
Top Bottom