Silkie thread!

Tiny has just discovered her reflection... and selfies.
1f602.png

Oh my goodness this is so precious!

Which roo would you keep I was thinking roo number two because he is the same color as the hens but his comb I don't know if it's the right color, and his leg feathers arnt as bushy as the first one. And number two has a good comb color I think and has good feathery legs, but his color is almost white compared to the hens.

Silkie roo #1

Silkie roo #2

Personally, I wouldn't keep either of them, both of their combs are too red. If they are your only choice, I'd pick number 1. His comb is smaller (which I prefer) and his legs are better feathered. Color is pretty much a non issue if you're still working on type. You have to build the barn before you paint it...

Yikes! I fortunately have not had any issues with my vaulted skull silkies being injured, but it does seem like they can have a harder time hatching. That big skull can make it so they can barely move their head in the egg!

PHOTO IS PRESUMABLY OF A BLACK SKULL SILKIE - NOTICE HOW MUCH SKULL IS OPEN TO EXPOSE BRAIN TISSUE JUST UNDER THE SKULLCAP. IT'S NO WONDER INJURY IS EASY ON EXTREME VAULTS. VAULTING DEGREES VARY SO WHEN I LOOK FOR A PULLET I FEEL FOR A FLATTER SKULL. MY SILKIES ARE NOT FOR EXHIBITION BUT TO BE ROUGH-AND-TUMBLE OUTDOOR FREE-RANGE GIRLS SO LESS VAULT IS DESIRABLE FOR MY SITUATION.

I'M PERFECTLY AT EASE WITH MY FLAT SKULL SILKIE. SHE WAS BEING CANNIBALIZED BY A BULLY MARANS ON THE ROOST AT NIGHT BEFORE I REALIZED SHE WAS NOT MOLTING BUT BEING EATEN ALIVE - POOR THING. HAD SHE HAD A VAULTED SKULL WHO KNOWS IF SHE MIGHT'VE INCURRED BRAIN DAMAGE BUT LUCKILY SHE IS NORMAL TODAY. THE BULLY MARANS WAS DISPOSED OF!

HERE'S OUR PARTRIDGE SILKIE ON THE RIGHT BEHAVING AS NORMAL AS THE OTHERS, PLUS SHE IS NOW OVER 5 YRS OLD!

PARTRIDGE SILKIE TOODLING AND FORAGING AROUND TODAY!

Personally, I wouldn't keep either of them, both of their combs are too red. If they are your only choice, I'd pick number 1. His comb is smaller (which I prefer) and his legs are better feathered. Color is pretty much a non issue if you're still working on type. You have to build the barn before you paint it...

Ok well those are the only two I have and what do you mean as of working on type

I'm having a lot of trouble with one of my young paint pullets. She has pendulous crop. I made her a sling to help support her crop, but she can't walk or even hold herself up with it on. Is anyone more familiar with this or has ideas for treatment?

I'm trying Acidified Copper Sulfate as a water supplement for treatment. Read about it in
The Chicken Health Handbook, 2nd Edition: A Complete Guide to Maximizing Flock Health and Dealing with Disease, Edition 2.

I never knew you could give a silkie a hair cut!

As pullets Silkies seem to be very fully crested and fluffy. Our Silkies have free-ranged for 5 yrs and nibble each other's eye "hairs" and have made their own "haircuts" -- plus free-ranging wears down a lot of their leg/feet feathers as well as their fluffy crest feathers and can look quite comical and unlike show quality birds after a romp in a dust bath!

One Silkie is in my raised garden bed enjoying a dust bath with her 2 friends - the Silkie is the little ball of tail fluff half-visible as she digs her way to China between her 2 large fowl friends!

Eventually outdoor Silkies even with the fluffiest crests will wear down their feet and crest feathers!

This spunky Silkie loves to forage as seen by the cobwebs and debris in her "hair" and 2 outside toes she's worn down from obsessive scratching!

Back
Top Bottom