Silkie thread!

Any help on sexing my silkie would be great! Thanks:)

Any help on sexing my silkie would be great! Thanks:)

The poofy round tail is usually a girl's conformation but yours is standing in the traditional boy's stance ~ so I'd say ask us in another couple months with a new photo
big_smile.png

BTW what all do you like or don't like about your Eglu ~ is it the Cube?

Last edited:
I've been told that the girls " poof" is nice & rounded but the males have kind of the " spikey do" going on

It all depends ~ Silkies can develop differently from each other where you can't believe they came from the same parents! Only time is the conclusive evidence of whether they are boys or girls. You can start having your suspicions of what sex they are at about 3 months but by 5 months it's usually conclusive. The Partridge to me are the easiest to identify earlier than the other varieties. Some breeders DNA-sex their chicks and you can get younger Silkie pullets that way. Amber Waves Silkies in Norco, CA, sells DNA-sexed Silkies ~ the prices of their pullet chicks depends on the returning DNA results of how many cockerels resulted in the tests ~ the lower the cockerel results are then lower the pullet costs will be. DNA sexing is the only way I'll go with getting guaranteed Silkie pullets younger than 4 months old because it is too heartbreaking having to re-home a cockerel I've raised ~ we aren't zoned for roos.

I have 3 roosters right now so one has to go. If there is someone who needs a nice breeding rooster I am parting with a blue bearded Silkie rooster that is breeder quality. I am in the Seattle area of Washington if it is not too much of a drive. I have not listed him yet but my roosters are only $10 if they can find a home. If not, he may end up at the auction. I don't have a picture of him but I will take one if I need to list him. I thought I would put it out here first just in case someone needs a nice breeding rooster, or even a pet if that will spare his life.

There is a chance I could part with a hen and sell them together as a breeding pair but I have to look over my hens to see if there are any I am willing to part with to spare the rooster's life. I think I have another cockerel growing out (hopefully blue) since I have heard attempted crowing from a group of 3 Silkies (blue and splash) that are growing out in the brooder. I might list both for sale before I move the pullets to the coop but they have not been together so they probably will not go together.

I have 3 roosters right now so one has to go. If there is someone who needs a nice breeding rooster I am parting with a blue bearded Silkie rooster that is breeder quality. I am in the Seattle area of Washington if it is not too much of a drive. I have not listed him yet but my roosters are only $10 if they can find a home. If not, he may end up at the auction. I don't have a picture of him but I will take one if I need to list him. I thought I would put it out here first just in case someone needs a nice breeding rooster, or even a pet if that will spare his life.

There is a chance I could part with a hen and sell them together as a breeding pair but I have to look over my hens to see if there are any I am willing to part with to spare the rooster's life. I think I have another cockerel growing out (hopefully blue) since I have heard attempted crowing from a group of 3 Silkies (blue and splash) that are growing out in the brooder. I might list both for sale before I move the pullets to the coop but they have not been together so they probably will not go together.

Wish I was closer I would purchase a breeding pair. I'm all the way in northern California though.. :(

What kind of comb is this and why is it like this?
[COLOR=333333] "Looks like a walnut comb to me."[/COLOR] Not to me. This is a walnut comb below. He's still young (about 6 months) and the comb will get a bit bigger and possibly a little "wrinkly" looking but no points and nothing sticking up. There are some funky combs out there in the breed. If you love them and aren't interested in breeding seriously it doesn't matter but according to the standard, the original comb posted would be a disqualification.
Do you think maybe a pea comb? And is a pea comb a disqualification?

The poofy round tail is usually a girl's conformation but yours is standing in the traditional boy's stance ~ so I'd say ask us in another couple months with a new photo :D  

BTW what all do you like or don't like about your Eglu ~ is it the Cube?

The Elgu is amazing! I've had no trouble with predators so far as the little house they go into at night is extremely secure and is made out of really strong plastic with great ventilation! I think the only problem I've had with it is that the run was rather tricky to put together as I had to bend the wire to fit the house when I connected them but that could have just been it got bent out of shape in the mail. But other than that it's been perfect. Very easy to move around when needed:) I think it's the Omlet Elgu Go.

Back
Top Bottom