Silkie thread!

Update: Bob now sometimes squats when you pet her. I've set her in the nesting box a couple of times a day so she can check out the ceramic eggs.
When my cochin rooster is somewhere near she always runs to him, almost looking like she may want to get mounted or something.

My little girl Lucy laying her second egg yesterday. And quick question why does my silkies seem so little and one is laying already and everyone else's look huge like full sized large fowl.

I know the eggs will get bigger but why do the birds seem so small compared to everyone else's?

Could just be the perception you are getting from the angle of pics. My silkies are markedly smaller in size. Their fluff can be quite deceiving too as when they are wet they are tiny. I think they punch above their own weight in egg size because my second and third year layers eggs are 2/3 the size of any of my Wyandotte eggs.

My little girl Lucy laying her second egg yesterday. And quick question why does my silkies seem so little and one is laying already and everyone else's look huge like full sized large fowl.

Probably just angle of pic , I know I have trouble judging size in a picture, I have noticed silkies over a year old do seem much fluffier Makes them look bigger but I do get one sometimes that is small ,your girl is very pretty!
1f60a.png

@RavynFallen
Here is an updated pic of the chick out in the light.

I agree the it looks a light blue but it has splashes of yellow and then a dark spot on its head. Either way I'm happy with blue or splash. Just not good at being patient lol. Thanks for your help. :)

Some are really hard to tell apart, especially when they are based on E/E... extended black can show a little yellow or a lot, then the color 'extends' across the the yellow as it matures... here's 3 different chicks that are E/E, but all 3 will feather out full black...

Some are really hard to tell apart, especially when they are based on E/E... extended black can show a little yellow or a lot, then the color 'extends' across the the yellow as it matures... here's 3 different chicks that are E/E, but all 3 will feather out full black...

Yeah that's how our olive eggers were when they hatched. Looked like little penguins but came in all black. I don't think this one will be black though. :)

Back
Top Bottom