Silkie thread!

This is one question I haven't been able to get an exact answer to but when should I bring my silkies inside during the winter, I know they are cold hardy but it can get 20 degrees or lower here and it's already been getting down in the 30s at night.

Adult silkies are pretty hardy. I live in TN and it can get into the single digits in winter. Once or twice a year we might even have a zero degree night. I've has silkies for a few years now. I currently have 8 adults silkies and 4 large breed hens who all roost together in an unheated coop and they have been fine. They have the choice to go in or out in the daytime and no matter how cold it is, the silkies like to go out in the run and tootle around most of the day. I have a somewhat sheltered pen and there is a snow free covered area where food and water sit out. I have a large size heated dog water bowl for when its below freezing and in addition to their regular food, I make sure they get plenty of black oil sunflower seeds for good protein and fat.

After her bath, poor thing is full of pin feathers. Clipped her majorly overgrown toenails & treated her for mites.

OK does anyone know If mites could be the cause of my silkie hens mysterious balance issues?? she all the sudden couldn't stand a few days ago she eats and drinks fine!! I got ahold of my breeder because I didn't know what to do she asked for a photo of her eyes!! I seen a bunch if white specks then I realized they where mites!!!

Ok thank you mine are all adults and have all just started laying a little under a month ago. I put the mixed flock with them tonight to help keep them warm. They just seem to shiver when you hold them so I wanted to make sure how long they can handle the cold.

OK does anyone know If  mites could be the cause of my silkie hens  mysterious balance issues?? she all the sudden couldn't stand a few days ago she eats and drinks fine!! I got ahold of my breeder because I didn't know what to do she asked for a photo of her eyes!! I seen a bunch if white specks then I realized they where mites!!!

Sounds more like lice, but yes lice and mites can cause all sorts of health issues. Have you checked inside her ear to see if there are any in there. That will put her off balance too.

Back
Top Bottom