Silkie thread!

I'm new with having chickens and I started out with 4 chicks in October. I've rehomed 2 Roos and have add two pullets (awhile back). Last weekend I rehomed the 2nd roo and came home and for the first time ever my whole silkie (that I thought was a pullet) started crowing. The last roo I had to rehome because he suddenly became aggressive and started coming at me and was being too hard on one of the girls and pulling all her head feathers out when mating her. My white silkie has always been so sweet and the first to come up to me and eat out of my hand and let me hold. Now all the sudden he's doing the little side step thing towards me when I come around and now today when my 6 year old went to collect eggs as soon as she when in he pecked her legs 5times and made her bleed. I have 3 young kids that love helping me take care of the chickens. I can't have aggressive behavior. What should I do? Is it hormones that's causing all these sudden problems?

​Are these hatchery birds?

I have to second this question. The only people aggressive ones I've had were hatchery birds.

I'm new with having chickens and I started out with 4 chicks in October. I've rehomed 2 Roos and have add two pullets (awhile back). Last weekend I rehomed the 2nd roo and came home and for the first time ever my whole silkie (that I thought was a pullet) started crowing. The last roo I had to rehome because he suddenly became aggressive and started coming at me and was being too hard on one of the girls and pulling all her head feathers out when mating her. My white silkie has always been so sweet and the first to come up to me and eat out of my hand and let me hold. Now all the sudden he's doing the little side step thing towards me when I come around and now today when my 6 year old went to collect eggs as soon as she when in he pecked her legs 5times and made her bleed. I have 3 young kids that love helping me take care of the chickens. I can't have aggressive behavior. What should I do? Is it hormones that's causing all these sudden problems?

Get rid of the Roo. Mine started out being the friendliest out of my four , kind of the same situation . We had one that was overly aggressive toward one of our hens and the other started biting my daughter . To the point she has a scar on her arm. See ya!! Had to go .

​Did you crack them to look for bull's eye?

Yes, no bullseye. I haven't witnessed any breeding. I had them out for 6 hrs today. Never saw any action. That's probably the problem. I need to turn on the romantic music

Maybe you need to show them instructional videos like they have to do for pandas.

Yes, no bullseye. I haven't witnessed any breeding. I had them out for 6 hrs today. Never saw any action. That's probably the problem. I need to turn on the romantic music

Maybe you need to show them instructional videos like they have to do for pandas.

1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom