Silkie thread!

Hatched some paint eggs and had this beauty pop out. I know it's not a recognized color but I might play around with this. Looks like a red paint as the color is too broken up for red Pyle.
View attachment 1071783
She is beautiful, she caught my eye when I was at your farm a couple weeks ago. My chicks are doing great. I do believe the white spilt is shaping up to look like a hen, my daughter had named her coconut. The little black split that we added on is so friendly and sweet. I will definitely be interested in when you have chicks from the "red paint"

Attachments

• IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    595.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    580.6 KB · Views: 5
She is beautiful, she caught my eye when I was at your farm a couple weeks ago. My chicks are doing great. I do believe the white spilt is shaping up to look like a hen, my daughter had named her coconut. The little black split that we added on is so friendly and sweet. I will definitely be interested in when you have chicks from the "red paint"

I think the red is a rooster cause it's so big compared to the others but I will be breeding to see if I could get calico or something neat like that. Gonna start a project! Glad the birds you got are doing well. They look great. Keep in touch!

Hi, I'm an aspiring silkie mom. I hope to start a small flock soon (6-9 chicks). I do have a question, I can see in the future having to rehome some roo's. My chicks will be pets and I anticipate that the ones I rehome will be pets too. If I give away a pet(s) what would be the ideal situation for someone just wanting a pet. Can a single roo be a pet or will I need to give a set? If a set ----
1 roo =1 hen?
1 roo + 2 hens?
would 2 roo's be buddies in the absence of hens?
Obviously i would like to keep my hens but if I rehome a roo I want him to have a good life.

any advice is appreciated

If you give away roo's as pets, don't give one roo with only one hen because he will overmate the one hen. A single roo as a pet if in-house is ok -- but remember that chickens have flock mentality so 2 roo's together may work depending on how they get along as hatchmates. A single roo indoors without another chicken or humans around all day might be too lonely. I don't buy chicks or hatch eggs -- I only get sexed pullets because I hate going through finding homes for cockerels that will more than likely wind up on someone's dinner plate. Amber Waves Silkies sells DNA-sexed Silkie pullet chicks (not cheap but the sex is guaranteed) and they give away free the Silkie cockerels. Cockerels/Cocks are great flock protectors but unfortunately most backyard flocks don't need more than one or two males so the extra boys get re-homed or eaten. :(

So I stopped today and bought some crickets for my silkies. At first I think they were scared of them but after they realized it was food they were on them. So entertaining watching them. Their little personalities are coming out.

So I stopped today and bought some crickets for my silkies. At first I think they were scared of them but after they realized it was food they were on them. So entertaining watching them. Their little personalities are coming out.

My buff orpington chick was constantly sneaking out of the garage to get the little crickets... she chases them and it is adorable... But she is a bad influence, my babies do not need to be outside of the garage. :D

If you give away roo's as pets, don't give one roo with only one hen because he will overmate the one hen. A single roo as a pet if in-house is ok -- but remember that chickens have flock mentality so 2 roo's together may work depending on how they get along as hatchmates. A single roo indoors without another chicken or humans around all day might be too lonely. I don't buy chicks or hatch eggs -- I only get sexed pullets because I hate going through finding homes for cockerels that will more than likely wind up on someone's dinner plate. Amber Waves Silkies sells DNA-sexed Silkie pullet chicks (not cheap but the sex is guaranteed) and they give away free the Silkie cockerels. Cockerels/Cocks are great flock protectors but unfortunately most backyard flocks don't need more than one or two males so the extra boys get re-homed or eaten. :(

Thank you I didn't know silkies could be sexed I am looking for a source i will try amber waves.

I'm too soft hearted so maybe that would be a way to get hens

Back
Top Bottom