Silkie thread!

Quote:
Pretty but I'm pretty sure that isn't a splash color wise. I can't really say what color I think it is though... I'm curious do you know the breeding the chick came from?

Quote:
I PM'ed you with that section from my notes. I'm too sleepy to type it all out again LOL
wink.png

You can have individual birds tested for NPIP, if for example, you are taking it to a show in a state that requires testing. This result is for that bird only; it does not mean you have an NPIP flock (unless the brd is your entire flock, lol). I don't know if most vets are set up for the testing, though. It's a pretty simple test, but they have to have the correct antigen available, and unless they perform a lot of the tests, may not be kept in stock.

Every state runs its program differently, so whether all vets are approved testers is another matter.

Quote:
To get NPIP tested, the tester comes to you. They gps your farm location. Then they have to test 30% of your flock, or 30 max. At least in NY that is what they do.
They leave you with a copy of the test results, and then, 3 months later, we get a certificate that says we are NPIP certified for 1 year. The first time I had it done, the tester asked me if I had rodent control, then said, "you have barn cats so that is a yes!"

Or, sometimes at shows, they will have a tester there and you can have them test just the one bird, but that will not get you NPIP certified, and that test only lasts for 3 months for that specific bird.

Thanks Sonora for going over and and telling the lady with the beat up roo EXACTLY what to do step by step. I still can't see how it was another silkie that did that. I have 3 roos, and have never seen them fight like that at all. Just totally amazing. Hope her chicken makes is, and he's not suffering unduly cuz she hasn't the heart to pt him down. Poor guy.

Chickens can recover amazingly from severe injury. I certainly wouldn't be putting it down without giving it a chance at recovery. I have seen pretty severe injury from fighting, but the back is not a usual place for severe injury.

Back
Top Bottom