Silkie thread!

Quote:
You do NOT want to stop the predisone suddenly. Taper it down until its gone. I read about this treatment somewhere else, I'll try to find the link and post it here. But the person who posted it had one she had to hand fed for 2 months and he fully recovered. I'm in for the long haul on this pullet.

Here's the article. http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html

Last edited:
Anybody Have a Silkie pullet at the age four months they could let go of anytime soon I have a lone hen and she needs a buddy I will take any color it just has to be from a healthy flock of birds.

Quote:
When I got home from errands i believed that she may have drank and ate a little......Then i finally saw her poop, brown and white looked normal..i gave her some save a chick even though she fought me a little. Took her outside and she walked a few steps and chirped at the passing cars...she just doesnt want to move around she wants to lay with her head tucked like shes napping. here heat feels good....she still keeps her eyes shut most of the time....maybe she is semi-blind or maybe lazy or maybe depressed lol..i hate being a crazy worried chicken momma
hmm.png

I know your girl died, but if ever happens again here's what's (so far) working for me and a confirmed head injury with an Ameraucana pullet.

Initial symptoms: head tucked into back/wing while other birds were up and running around. = NOT normal. By that night, she couldn't keep her head straight. Looked like wry neck/crook neck. Dizzy, bird looked like she was trying ot keep her balance. he head would nod and nod and nod and nod. One eye completely closed. Next day: unable to stand and wanted to flip over.

What is working:
She's getting a teeny tiny piece of predisone 2x/day, teeny tiny vitamin B supplement that I squeeze out of a gel pill into her mouth (2x/day), a drop of vitamin E (2x/day), a teeny piece of selenium tab 2x/day and we also feed her the baby bird hand feeding formula. as much as i can min of 3x/day. (I have to work)

I keep her propped up to keep her lungs in the right spot; she's not allowed to lay on her flat on her side at all. I rolled up some towels and made a ramp like surface so she's laying on the ramp but more up right than flat.

She's not out of the woods yet but she now opens her eyes when you're around and can hold her head up.

I will definitely store in my chicken references on my computer..........I contacted the guy I bought her from and said that none of her pen partners got sick and he suspected head injury.....I still have her brother (humpty lol named after the 80s song humpty dance lol) in my utility room in a pet carrier when i took him out with the other chickens he went nuts and my girls where attacking the pen ...ughhh...my girls are a little over bearing sometimes and well...spoiled So humpty is listening to the radio hanging out with me while I clean house!

Sounds like a head injury to me as well. I accidently knocked a 1x1 perch off a ledge it was sitting on(yes it should have been nailed down), anyway it hit the silkie hen in the head and we had immediate head injury symptoms. Rushed her to the vet, vet gave a shot of steroid, fluids, and she continued to decline even after several more vet visits. I did not have the hand feeding formula nor did I give prediaone. Vet didn't mention using that until her weight started going down quickly and by that time it was too late.After she died I bought everything just in case for next time. The sooner you start treaent to reduce brain swelling the better the chnces for survival.

Quote:
I know your girl died, but if ever happens again here's what's (so far) working for me and a confirmed head injury with an Ameraucana pullet.

Initial symptoms: head tucked into back/wing while other birds were up and running around. = NOT normal. By that night, she couldn't keep her head straight. Looked like wry neck/crook neck. Dizzy, bird looked like she was trying ot keep her balance. he head would nod and nod and nod and nod. One eye completely closed. Next day: unable to stand and wanted to flip over.

What is working:
She's getting a teeny tiny piece of predisone 2x/day, teeny tiny vitamin B supplement that I squeeze out of a gel pill into her mouth (2x/day), a drop of vitamin E (2x/day), a teeny piece of selenium tab 2x/day and we also feed her the baby bird hand feeding formula. as much as i can min of 3x/day. (I have to work)

I keep her propped up to keep her lungs in the right spot; she's not allowed to lay on her flat on her side at all. I rolled up some towels and made a ramp like surface so she's laying on the ramp but more up right than flat.

She's not out of the woods yet but she now opens her eyes when you're around and can hold her head up.

I will definitely store in my chicken references on my computer..........I contacted the guy I bought her from and said that none of her pen partners got sick and he suspected head injury.....I still have her brother (humpty lol named after the 80s song humpty dance lol) in my utility room in a pet carrier when i took him out with the other chickens he went nuts and my girls where attacking the pen ...ughhh...my girls are a little over bearing sometimes and well...spoiled So humpty is listening to the radio hanging out with me while I clean house!

So I decided since the first day trying him around the other chickens was a little tramatic and well he has been chirping lol I gave him a snuggle buddy i tried to get a picture of him snugggled up but he jumped up lol just dont tell him its a bear
wink.png

2r5dgch.jpg

Quote:

So I decided since the first day trying him around the other chickens was a little tramatic and well he has been chirping lol I gave him a snuggle buddy i tried to get a picture of him snugggled up but he jumped up lol just dont tell him its a bear
wink.png

http://i53.tinypic.com/2r5dgch.jpg

Awww! What a sweet lookin' guy!
love.gif

I'm looking for a couple young Silkie hens (couple months/plus)

I'm going to separate my young roo from his parents soon, and he needs some ladies for company.

Message me!
frow.gif

FYI: Just posted a beautiful young splash silkie hen and a beautiful splash cockerel up for auction! My auctions start at $1!!!
smile.png

M@M@2four :

FYI: Just posted a beautiful young splash silkie hen and a beautiful splash cockerel up for auction! My auctions start at $1!!!
smile.png

I looked at your girl. SHE IS BEAUTIFUL! I would love to have her. I'll have to watch the auction.​

Back
Top Bottom