Silkie thread!

Quote:
Actually, with a redder comb, it CAN BE gender specific, with testosterone levels making a comb redder (an easy way in non-silkies to tell boys earlier), and presence of double barring in cuckoos making it lighter/redder than in their single barred female counterparts. So, all other things being equal, male combs are more likely than female combs to be too light. Wheaten genes lighten skin, so buffs that are wheaten based have lighter skin than those that are e^b based. I know of no gene that specifically affects comb colour: supposedly breeds with the Fm gene will have mulberry coloured combs, those without will have red combs. Melanizers can darken skin as well as plumage, dilulters can affect skin as well as plumage. However, in my coop right now is a very dark skinned boy with a much too red comb. I have no explanation.

Quote:
Yes. Assuming the parents had correct combs, they were both het. (one copy, not two) for both rose and pea comb genes, and the "lucky" single combed chicks inherited both not-peacomb and not-rosecomb from each parent.

sager:)silkies :

Quote:
Link didn't work for me

Its working for me. How you can find it though is to search on google "how to give a silkie chicken a bath" and click on the 2nd thing that comes up. See if you can find it that way.

Happy-Hens​

Quote:
You described the addiction perfectly,
lol.png
Whats worse is HAVING the land and trying to stay reasonable... I think you came to the wrong place to get help for your addiction...just sayin.
wink.png

I just candled my spash silkie eggs (day 6) and got to see 10 little "swimmers"! What a miracle it is! I could have watched them all evening but had to put them back in their toasty oven! 10 others going in lock-down tomorrow! I'm starting to hyperventilate!
barnie.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
You described the addiction perfectly,
lol.png
Whats worse is HAVING the land and trying to stay reasonable... I think you came to the wrong place to get help for your addiction...just sayin.
wink.png

X2!!
lol.png

Haha I know I know Thanks for the "support" guys LOL! Its ok Ive decided I will wait until next spring when I can get the big coop project done so I have a nice big house for these guys
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom