Silkie thread!

Quote:
Thank you for your kind words I also want to get into shows but I don't have the money for a SQ bird

same here but buying eggs are cheaper thats what im going to do once i get a incubator. one breeder wanted me to buy her SQ pair for $600 yet i could get 12 eggs for sooooo much cheaper

Thats like 300 a bird wow

Quote:
same here but buying eggs are cheaper thats what im going to do once i get a incubator. one breeder wanted me to buy her SQ pair for $600 yet i could get 12 eggs for sooooo much cheaper

ya she scard me out of thinking about buying SQ birds thats why im getting a incubator for eggs cause i can not afford that

$300 per bird is a bit much right now; a few years ago it was not that uncommon. However, purchasing eggs in the hope of hatching the ellusive "perfect bird" is fairly unrealistic, too. There is a reason that most breeders do not sell hatching eggs. IMO, it is wasted money.

Quote:

ya she scard me out of thinking about buying SQ birds thats why im getting a incubator for eggs cause i can not afford that

its going to depend on the breeder your getting birds from. some are more expensive, some more affordable. it also depends on how established their bloodline of birds are and if they are 'worth the money' they ask for them. Some breeders easily rack in 300-400$ a pair, I have never heard of 600$ pairs though, sheesh only a few people out there that could ask for that kind of money, and/or depends on color as well.

the thing with eggs vs buying established birds : eggs you can still spend a good chunk of change on a dozen eggs, if your lucky 1-6 of those eggs will hatch...from hatch divide how much you paid for those eggs by # of chicks you hatched. thats how much money went into each one already, and your not guaranteed any of those chicks you hatch will be Show worthy birds.
hmm.png
Just trying to let you know what you are up against. I am with you, no way would I pay that kind of money for 1 pair of birds, the most I'd be willing to pay would be 150$ for a potential show pair.

In spring shop around with breeders online, you may have to pay an extra 70$ for shipping, but you could easily find you a young SQ pair for 100-150$ but make sure the person you are getting them from is reputable and well established.

good luck on your future hatch!
smile.png

Quote:

its going to depend on the breeder your getting birds from. some are more expensive, some more affordable. it also depends on how established their bloodline of birds are and if they are 'worth the money' they ask for them. Some breeders easily rack in 300-400$ a pair, I have never heard of 600$ pairs though, sheesh only a few people out there that could ask for that kind of money, and/or depends on color as well.

the thing with eggs vs buying established birds : eggs you can still spend a good chunk of change on a dozen eggs, if your lucky 1-6 of those eggs will hatch...from hatch divide how much you paid for those eggs by # of chicks you hatched. thats how much money went into each one already, and your not guaranteed any of those chicks you hatch will be Show worthy birds.
hmm.png
Just trying to let you know what you are up against. I am with you, no way would I pay that kind of money for 1 pair of birds, the most I'd be willing to pay would be 150$ for a potential show pair.

In spring shop around with breeders online, you may have to pay an extra 70$ for shipping, but you could easily find you a young SQ pair for 100-150$ but make sure the person you are getting them from is reputable and well established.

good luck on your future hatch!
smile.png

x2!

Sager, actually my Roo is not show quality:(. I posted his pic to get opinions and no he's not but I still love him:D
Ayda
Am gonna try for the show quality!
Ayda

Quote:
Willing to pay shipping? I found my Splash pair on BYC Auction (from Birds & Eggs).
smile.png

Try contacting some of the Silkie breeders on here -
ask if they breed blue, and maybe they will have something for you now or a little later.

Or maybe you could visit a local chicken show to find local Silkie breeders.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom