Silkie thread!

Quote:
If your looking for good quality silkies with a decent crest - you really shouldn't house them with other breeds, especially standards. A 'breeder' or 'show' lines their crests are so full they can't see danger coming, and they are easy targets from other chickens even fellow similar sized bantams. I have some hatchery or pet quality silkies that have little crests and can see very well, and they are the oldest of all my birds (from 1 lb OEGB rooster to a 13.5 pound Brahma rooster) and those PQ (pet quality) silkies whoop their butts and mingle with them just fine.

On the other hand my show line birds are at the bottom of the free range pecking order, and I keep them penned up seperately from all the rest 1. for breeding reasons, and 2. for their safety.

I totally agree. I have LF and silkies. My LF girls (and a couple roo's) are in pens with big yards and no cover. For the above mentioned reasons, my silkies are completely covered. I let the silkies out with supervision. When I was raising some banties earlier this year, they were housed with some growing silkies and did fine. I have heard of other people keeping silkies with LF but I would guess the silkies get the worst of the deal.

I also have Australorps and Wyandottes. Mine are just hatchery stock layers.

You gotta get some silkies! You just might need a new little coop.

Julie

Quote:
If your looking for good quality silkies with a decent crest - you really shouldn't house them with other breeds, especially standards. A 'breeder' or 'show' lines their crests are so full they can't see danger coming, and they are easy targets from other chickens even fellow similar sized bantams. I have some hatchery or pet quality silkies that have little crests and can see very well, and they are the oldest of all my birds (from 1 lb OEGB rooster to a 13.5 pound Brahma rooster) and those PQ (pet quality) silkies whoop their butts and mingle with them just fine.

On the other hand my show line birds are at the bottom of the free range pecking order, and I keep them penned up seperately from all the rest 1. for breeding reasons, and 2. for their safety.

I totally agree. I have LF and silkies. My LF girls (and a couple roo's) are in pens with big yards and no cover. For the above mentioned reasons, my silkies are completely covered. I let the silkies out with supervision. When I was raising some banties earlier this year, they were housed with some growing silkies and did fine. I have heard of other people keeping silkies with LF but I would guess the silkies get the worst of the deal.

Julie

You obviously never met my VERY LARGE, exhibition barred rock cockerel who was terrorized by a ratty (personality) silkie rooster a third of his size. I have some tiny silkie hens woul will more than willingly take on anything larger than they are. To an extent, they have the same kind of daring-do as my Jack Russel Terrorist.

Quote:

Julie

You obviously never met my VERY LARGE, exhibition barred rock cockerel who was terrorized by a ratty (personality) silkie rooster a third of his size. I have some tiny silkie hens woul will more than willingly take on anything larger than they are. To an extent, they have the same kind of daring-do as my Jack Russel Terrorist.

Actually, that's funny. I wasn't thinking about it but my toughest rooster is a partridge silkie. My LF roo's (splash marans and cochins) are pretty easy going.

do u guys think my silkies are sq
this is the black pullet
IMAG0574.jpg

IMAG0573.jpg

IMAG0571.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

IMAG0569.jpg

IMAG0568.jpg

heres the white cock
IMAG0566.jpg

IMAG0565.jpg

IMAG0564.jpg

heres the white pullet
IMAG0555.jpg

IMAG0552.jpg

IMAG0551.jpg

IMAG0548.jpg

IMAG0547.jpg

would love opinions

what do u guys think of my silkies plzz let me know ur opinions i know there show quality but are they really good ones the 2 pullets are 6 months old and the cock is 8 months

Quote:

Julie

I actually saw my 15 week old silkie chase a blue jay out of the yard... (My chickens and the blue jays have a love hate relationship....they both love food and hate eachother)

sager:)silkies :

what do u guys think of my silkies plzz let me know ur opinions i know there show quality but are they really good ones the 2 pullets are 6 months old and the cock is 8 months

I can not see the birds that good in the pictures to even try and guess. Try taking a profile picture of them and a picture of the feet.
From what I can see of the black pullet ,I wouldn't try to show her ,though she is a very pretty bird.She just doesn't appear to be up to show standards,but it could be the angle of the pictures .Try and post some more​

riane'smimi :

sager:)silkies :

I can not see the birds that good in the pictures to even try and guess. Try taking a profile picture of them and a picture of the feet.
From what I can see of the black pullet ,I wouldn't try to show her ,though she is a very pretty bird.She just doesn't appear to be up to show standards,but it could be the angle of the pictures .Try and post some more​

They are pretty birds maybe try some natural light pictures maybe?​

Back
Top Bottom