Silkie thread!

Quote:
Do you have a pic of your Salmon cock, & is he a crossbred or pure silkie, asking because I see you also breed Faverolles?

Dad was salmon faverolle, mom was the 'salmon/blue buff/ light blue part. hen shown a page or so back
smile.png
All silkie charactoristics except feathers...only a few of them shoe a hint of silkie...Will get pics today for you.

Ok that is what I thought reading your post. I have Salmon silkies, that are not crossbred, but pure silkie. The color can be made using the genetics in purebred silkies, without crossing. I went back & found a post of yours saying that the father of the hen was Lavender, if so she would not be Salmon, what I believe you had with her, was a Lavender Partridge. She is very simular in color to the "Porcelain" color that is obtained (pop out) from blue or splash breedings. Amy Piehl has gotten them from her GM line birds as well as other breeders, and they have posted about them on here.

Here is a picture of my Salmon silkie
20866_dscn1773.jpg

Same cock, with a Wheaten hen
20866_dscn3123.jpg

Just wanted to let you know that this color already exists in Silkies, which would be a faster route, than breeding crossbreds for several generations to get the feathering & color consistant.

Brody's Broodello :

Quote:
Dad was salmon faverolle, mom was the 'salmon/blue buff/ light blue part. hen shown a page or so back
smile.png
All silkie charactoristics except feathers...only a few of them shoe a hint of silkie...Will get pics today for you.

Ok that is what I thought reading your post. I have Salmon silkies, that are not crossbred, but pure silkie. The color can be made using the genetics in purebred silkies, without crossing. I went back & found a post of yours saying that the father of the hen was Lavender, if so she would not be Salmon, what I believe you had with her, was a Lavender Partridge. She is very simular in color to the "Porcelain" color that is obtained (pop out) from blue or splash breedings. Amy Piehl has gotten them from her GM line birds as well as other breeders, and they have posted about them on here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn1773.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn3123.jpg

Just wanted to let you know that this color already exists in Silkies, which would be a faster route, than breeding crossbreds for several generations to get the feathering & color consistant.​

Very nice colored Silkie cock, in this way we never see them in EU
Just some genetic information about the Salmon and Wheaten.
-Salmon genetic-code : eWh/eWh S/S * S/- Mh/Mh => means a wheaten ground-color (eWh), based on Silver (S), the salmon red reinforced by Mahogany (Mh).
-Wheaten genetic-code : eWh/eWh s+/s+ * s+/- => means a wheaten ground-color (eWh), based on gold (s+), the salmon red in his natural expression.

The cock on the photo is in my opinion diluted by one doses of Blue (Bl/bl+)

Last edited:
Oh no! The santa cat is ahead of my silkie! Please vote for Suze's "Partridge in a Pear Tree" silkie at https://apps.facebook.com/offerpop/Cont … amp;v=View

At stake is a $100 gift certificate to my favourite coffee shop...

I entered a photo of one of my silkie chickens in Seattle Espresso’s photo contest. (I never enter contests, but when my favorite local coffee shop announced it, I decided it would be fun to try.) My photo was in the lead, but in the last couple of days it's been neck to neck with an evil Santa Kitty photo (I really do like cats, just not when they are beating my poor silkie.) If you are on facebook, please go to Seattle Espresso’s page, click on Photo Contest at the left and vote for my Partridge in a Pear Tree.

Another 10+ hours to vote if you haven't...if you have, maybe crosspost to friends?

THANKS!
Suze

VOTED!! Good luck!! Looks like your winning!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn1773.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn3123.jpg

Just wanted to let you know that this color already exists in Silkies, which would be a faster route, than breeding crossbreds for several generations to get the feathering & color consistant.

-Salmon genetic-code : eWh/eWh S/S * S/- Mh/Mh => means a wheaten ground-color (eWh), based on Silver (S), the salmon red reinforced by Mahogany (Mh).
-Wheaten genetic-code : eWh/eWh s+/s+ * s+/- => means a wheaten ground-color (eWh), based on gold (s+), the salmon red in his natural expression.

Here are their parents
The silver penciled hen
20866_dscn1101.jpg

The Mahogany Red cock
20866_dscn1093.jpg

Brody's Broodello :

Quote:

Here are their parents
The silver penciled hen
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn1101.jpg

The Mahogany Red cock
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/20866_dscn1093.jpg

Very very nice types and colorations, not present in EU !!!
The hen is a Salmon on a wheaten ground-color (look the salmon red on her shoulders) based on Silver (look the Silver in her neck) indeed the pencelling (Pg/Pg or Pg/pg+) is to see on the wing.
The cock is a Wheaten on a wheaten ground-color (look the neck have NO pattern) based on gold (all over his feathers) the red-pigment reinforced by the gene "Mh" Mahogany (look the intense red on his shoulders).

As you can see the most elementary color-genes can be readed from the plumages.

Last edited:
Thanks

These birds had the correct makeup to make the Salmons, not an easy 1 + 1 breeding! I have had so many people want to make their own, but they don't realize that you just can make them, without the specific genetic background of the parent birds.

Brody's Broodello :

Thanks

These birds had the correct makeup to make the Salmons, not an easy 1 + 1 breeding! I have had so many people want to make their own, but they don't realize that you just can make them, without the specific genetic background of the parent birds.

I know exactely what you are speaking about. This is what is called breeding with knowledge and "fingerspitzengefühl". The real (color) breeder know the color-genes and the way how they inherit. Many say "just theory", nothing is less true. Congratulations with your breeding specialities.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom