Silkie thread!

Good Work
wink.png
I hope soo too! That one tends to be a bit slow but, eventually someone will come on and notice
smile.png

sager:)silkies :

Beth G. :

Your silly
tongue.png

Glad ya found it
wink.png

sager:)silkies :

lol u did i just went back and looked and it was there must of been cause those buffs were so pretty

just posted on there hopefully someone replies​

Beth G, Connecticut post #1337 the Silkie with the leg problem. I certainly am no expert.
I had a new chick born in April that was holding one foot back.

Thought it was a spaddling sp? problem. We tied the two feet together with heavy tape
(tape they use on boys with injury playing sports) and left it on for a while. She did fine.
and soon we removed the tape and the two legs were fine.

She is doing fine...no problems. This may sound too simple. Sometime the simple solution is correct. Good luck Aria

Beth G. :

Yes, I got a very funny looking orangey parti. But, sometimes the buff is much like white as you never know whats in the genetic make up.
Quote:

That's kind of the color I envision because I hatched two that color from some purchased eggs.
tongue.png

Beth G. :

its so I don't track germs from outside my main pen and also from one pen to another. I also QT my birds at another farm site off premise. This way I get up in the AM take care of my main breeder flock, get ready to go for the day, drive down to the other farm, tend to those birds, go to work, then go back to that QT farm again, Then back home, desanitize, remove shoes, clothing, diseffect of course, and then head out to my pens
wink.png

Its alot of work but, sooooo worth not spreading disease
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Is that so you don't track germs from one pen to another?

Wow! I'm exhausted thinking about it! I can see why you do it though...

Here is the website copy and pasted from my the Vet I used to work for. It give a better description on Mareks:

Viral Diseases (nonrespiratory)
Marek's Disease
Synonyms: acute leukosis, neural leukosis, range paralysis, gray eye (when eye affected)

Species affected: Chickens between 12 to 25 weeks of age are most commonly clinically affected. Occasionally pheasants, quail, game fowl and turkeys can be infected.

Clinical signs: Marek's disease is a type of avian cancer. Tumors in nerves cause lameness and paralysis. Tumors can occur in the eyes and cause irregularly shaped pupils and blindness. Tumors of the liver, kidney, spleen, gonads, pancreas, proventriculus, lungs, muscles, and skin can cause incoordination, unthriftiness, paleness, weak labored breathing, and enlarged feather follicles. In terminal stages, the birds are emaciated with pale, scaly combs and greenish diarrhea (see Table 2 ).

Marek's disease is very similar to Lymphoid Leukosis, but Marek's usually occurs in chickens 12 to 25 weeks of age and Lymphoid Leukosis usually starts at 16 weeks of age.

Transmission: The Marek's virus is transmitted by air within the poultry house. It is in the feather dander, chicken house dust, feces and saliva. Infected birds carry the virus in their blood for life and are a source of infection for susceptible birds.

Treatment: none

Prevention: Chicks can be vaccinated at the hatchery. While the vaccination prevents tumor formation, it does not prevent infection by the virus.

Quote:

Wow! I'm exhausted thinking about it! I can see why you do it though...

@ Peepsblessed

The information above is what keeps me up at night with my head rolling!! I just lost a really nice silkie chick to mareks and another one I have is recovering with slight leg issues. But, it still makes me sick when I think about another getting it
sad.png

Quote:

That's kind of the color I envision because I hatched two that color from some purchased eggs.
tongue.png

Interesting!!!

Did the breeder breed both buff and partridge? Just curious you don't have to mention names I just was wondering
wink.png

Ok so I need a little help...today is day 21 for my 9 eggs in lock down. Yesterday around 3:30pm 1 egg started to zip. I was so excited checking on it like every half hour. I figured when I got up this morning I would have at least 1 chick but I don't. The shell is about 1/2 one side cracked and open to where you can see in. How long does it usually take the first egg to zip? These are silkie eggs if that matters.

Update: I just went and checked on it and it appears to have yolk in the cracks!?

Last edited:
Quote:
had them shipped about a month ago. they are now 7 or 8 months old. Still young no eggs yet hopeing very soon. thanks! i keep them very clean

Back
Top Bottom