Silkie thread!

Quote:
Hi sue! I too, had a white silkie chick that did this. dont know why maybe injured while shipped? was your bird shipped that it was happening to? just a thought. See you at the show.

Josh

I hatched out of eggs I picked up. There were 2 other hatchmates that started with wry neck,but I was diligent and massaged their necks several times a day and they both recovered.

I will get the vitamins and see it it helps. I am trying to massage her neck like I did with her hatchmates, hopefully it will pass. She is a grey, and the only greg one I have so I don't want to lose her....I give them vitamins in their water so am not sure that is it, but will try the tri vi sol baby vitamins.

I'm a complete novice with Silkies...so I'm at a loss when things I've haven't seen before happen. Thanks for all the information.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm really loving my silkies....ssshhhhhhh! Especially those Marans people! LOL
Here is one of my favorite pics...grandaughter with silkie...

22072_img-20111010-00062.jpg

Quote:

No,her tail is up. It looks like she is trying go bite or get at something that is bothering her on her stomach. She goes backwards with her head down, until she hits a wall, and then pretty much stays there stuck. I can pick her up, pull the head up & hold it steady for a little while, and then she seems ok, but eventually, goes around with her head down as if she is pecking at the floor, and then eventually, it goes between her legs,and the backwards moving starts again? I"m stumped, but I'm new to silkies.

Not that I know much of anything regarding illness. But was your bird shipped to you recently, or is this a bird you hatched yourself? For some reason, I have read a lot of similar symptoms in shipped birds. I think it must have something to do with being put on the plane. Maybe the air pressure on the plane?? Anyway, I was really worried about that myself after I read all the horror stories about people's birds being picked up and then walking backwards and putting their heads down. I had 3 birds shipped to me and I picked them up at the airport- they all turned out fine. But it might be something to keep in mind if you just had her shipped. Probably doesn't fit your situation, but just figured I'd throw that out there just in case you did.

Quote:

No,her tail is up. It looks like she is trying go bite or get at something that is bothering her on her stomach. She goes backwards with her head down, until she hits a wall, and then pretty much stays there stuck. I can pick her up, pull the head up & hold it steady for a little while, and then she seems ok, but eventually, goes around with her head down as if she is pecking at the floor, and then eventually, it goes between her legs,and the backwards moving starts again? I"m stumped, but I'm new to silkies.

This sounds like a head injury. If you do a search on Wry neck you will get some answers. Mine completely recovered in a couple of days.
smile.png

Last edited:
Aww...thanks Beth! I should probably say that it is very little leakage that the girl has. If she had a lot, I wouldn't use her to breed with. I am very happy with the chicks I'm getting though. Splash is my favorite color, so I am a bit partial, but I LOVE my splashes.
smile.png

Beth G. :

Quote:
I love Pam's Splash's!!!!
love.gif
I had the pleasure of getting some chicks from her and they are absolutely gorgeous!!! I can't wait till the one splash and other blues fill in more. I hope to get some more eggs soon to try and hatch some more out
fl.gif
fl.gif

So far at the shows Pam's Splashes win alot and look the best by far at the few I've been to with her and her daughter.​

Quote:
Hi sue! I too, had a white silkie chick that did this. dont know why maybe injured while shipped? was your bird shipped that it was happening to? just a thought. See you at the show.

Josh

I hatched out of eggs I picked up. There were 2 other hatchmates that started with wry neck,but I was diligent and massaged their necks several times a day and they both recovered.

I will get the vitamins and see it it helps. I am trying to massage her neck like I did with her hatchmates, hopefully it will pass. She is a grey, and the only greg one I have so I don't want to lose her....I give them vitamins in their water so am not sure that is it, but will try the tri vi sol baby vitamins.

I'm a complete novice with Silkies...so I'm at a loss when things I've haven't seen before happen. Thanks for all the information.

Don't tell anyone, but I'm really loving my silkies....ssshhhhhhh! Especially those Marans people! LOL
Here is one of my favorite pics...grandaughter with silkie...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/22072_img-20111010-00062.jpg

OMG!! What an adorable picture! Incredible blue eyes!!
big_smile.png

Ahhh I have 3 chicks out of the shell so far from egg i picked up from Kate Morreale and about 2 dozen more to go! making all kinds of peeps comming from the hatching spare bedroom LOL. looking good ill post the pics in the morning.

This is the girl with a little bit of leakage. She actually won Champ. Featherleg in the Jr. Division when my daughter showed her last spring.
63636_priscilla1.jpg

63636_priscilla5.jpg

I used to until I got 5 turkeys that freerange in my chicken pen. They give it naturally so I do not have to anymore. But, in the wintertime when I am hatching inside yes I do vaccinate b/c they aren't around them to get this until they are older to go outside. So I should say Yes and No I guess
smile.png

Quote:
I think alot of people are under the impression that if a bird has been vaccinated they are good to go. I think that the USDA needs to get out there and really start to educate people on what Mareks really is, Also how much is unknown about it even to the Vet's and Scientists, and that the vaccine is only the herpie's strain found in turkeys. It doesn't cover all wild migatory birds.

I somehow wish USDA and local Dept of Ag's would get pamplets together and have auctions, shows, swaps, feedstores around the US hand them out when purchasing bird, poultry item, or even a bag a feed. And, also put up posters or something. Yes I know it would be costly but, I think it needs to be out there and we need to educated whether your a first time chicken owner, or a professsional breeder. Things change and pop up all the time.

I know I'm asking for alot and it probably will never happen but, All I can say is I'm grateful I get to see my Ag testers every 3 months at my farm b/c they keep me posted and abreast to whats going on out there in the world with respects to disease.

Do you vaccinate?

Back
Top Bottom