Silkie thread!

Dwegg and BethG-- love that you get to bring your chickens to work! That is so neat! :) Great pictures of them at work! Amazing that a chicken laid an egg in a classroom full of kids in a basket on the couch! Anyway, so neat that other people get to see how sweet these birds are. :)

Thank you for all the great tips on getting a better photo. I didn't quite get the diffused light you all were talking about-- I really wanted to try to get a photo now rather than later. I would love if it Sonoran and anyone else would critique my pullet. She is 7 months old. (i think.. she could be a bit younger) Anyway, is she a black or a very dark blue? Also-- the foot picture, that isn't the greatest pic. I was trying to hold her with one hand and take a pic with the other. Anyway, this is Zelda.

It is a little red looking, but it could be the lighting. If not, maybe it will darken with age.
Aww Look there is speck as a peanut! hahaha I like this little boy, Do you think his comb is too red Pam? I'm hoping it's just the lighting.
fl.gif

Jeh, you can knock off for DQ's as chicks, - toes and cross beak for example. Then as they get some age on them - things such as wry tail, middle toe feathering, start being more apparent and middle toe feathering isn't a DQ - shouldn't even big a huge deal on an otherwise good bird - but wry tail is bad and thought to be genetic.

To get an idea of an overall good bird (no DQ's) to start evaluating for show potential a bird has I am told by breeders - 5 months old at the least to seriously start critiquing if a good bird is BQ or SQ. This is when most are filling out really well, the 'long' look has potentially (not always) gone away because their fluff and tail has filled in and they're getting their big girl carriage. boys hit that 'awesome' stage around 9-12 months, as they seem take longer to fully fill in.

What does DQ and BQ mean? I know what SQ is. What is Wry Tail? I do have one that doesn't have that silkie type feathers. Thanks for all the information!! I am hoping to go to my first show this spring to see what I need to look for in a show bird. I have photobucket account and it has pictures of my silkies -http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/jeh1984/Chickens/ and I also have some videos on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/moparguy96/videos

Thank you for all the great tips on getting a better photo.  I didn't quite get the diffused light you all were talking about-- I really wanted to try to get a photo now rather than later.  I would love if it Sonoran and anyone else would critique my pullet.  She is 7 months old.  (i think.. she could be a bit younger)  Anyway, is she a black or a very dark blue?  Also-- the foot picture, that isn't the greatest pic.  I was trying to hold her with one hand and take a pic with the other.  Anyway, this is Zelda.

I *think* she is black. Foot feathering looks okay. They are a bit harder than most would prefer, but I think they would be okay.

What does DQ and BQ mean? I know what SQ is. What is Wry Tail? I do have one that doesn't have that silkie type feathers. Thanks for all the information!! I am hoping to go to my first show this spring to see what I need to look for in a show bird. I have photobucket account and it has pictures of my silkies -http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/jeh1984/Chickens/ and I also have some videos on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/moparguy96/videos

DQ means disqualifying qualities (4 toes, 6 toes, cross beak, non silkied feathers, red instead of black skin/comb/waddles). BQ means Breeder Quality, and yes SQ=Show Quality. Wry tail is when the tail crooks to the side, and it is thought to be genetic.

Beth... No...she did not make the egg song..I told the kids she would and we all waited but she just quietly got off and hopped down.

I was also wondering what wry tail was...but it makes sense now thatyousaid...

OK...a roo question...my little boy blue (3.5 months) was mating my white silkie (4 months old)... Never seen that before and thought he was hurting her so I rushed over to intervene...anyway...I thought this white silkie was a boy? Would another boy allow this to happen...he did it twice! I thought that the white silkie ( who is the oldest I have) was the dominant silkie in the pen...he/she always pecks my blue boy away and kicks him ect???? Anyway so when he got off the white silkie chased him then grabbed a mouthful of his feathers....of course no-one has laid an egg yet as they are all still so young...do I need to separate my little roo?

here is the white silkie in question...girl or boy?

Last edited:
kk here is my pullet and my cockerel sorry for the pic heavy if u guys could tell me what u think of these ones to pros and cons and if they are SQ or BQ

this is the cockerel

and here is a feet shot of the cockerel

here is the pullet

her head is a little dirty their crest are hard to clean any tips on cleaning them would be nice

and here is her foot feathering

and here is a shot of both of them

forgot a pic of the cocks comb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom