Silkie thread!

Question from someone who knows nothing about Silkies............. I have a small flock of LF chickens. Can I put a couple Silkies in the same coop/run with them?

Thank you for any help! Figured it would be best to ask the experts.
smile.png

I have 1 Silkie so I'm definitely NOT the most experienced person here but what I will say - at 10 weeks, she is growing out with LF and she's at a disadvantage. Most of all, because her vision is compromised by the puff on her head and her beard!!! She's holding her own with them at this point but it isn't ideal.

Some folks want to keep them separate, and a larger bird *COULD* do a lot more damage than a smaller one, but in my experience, whether raised together or not, the silkies will take any opportunity to rule the roost. Today I saw a sizzle cockerel attacking an exhibition sized largefowl barred rock cockerel three times his size. I rescued the rock; the the sizzle ran off before I could pen him up for misbehavior. Oh, and the silkie hens rule the coops. This is TYPICAL for my flock, regardless of who they were raised with.

To add, the smaller the bird, the more vigorously she (or he) demands respect. If I want to make an accurate guess as to who is head hen in a coop--I look to the smallest hen first.

Last edited:
At the moment, I have one black Bearded Silkie hen and she lives in the coop with 3 RIR hens, 3 Buff Orpie hens, 1 RIR Roo, 1 Ameracauna roo, 1 Bantam Cochin hen, and 1 Bantam Sultan roo. She holds her own! Sometimes the big girls push her around, but she's quick enough to get out of their way. When she lays, she's one of my most reliable (even in winter), but even looking at her crosseyed makes her go broody. I love to pick her up and snuggle her, and she's learning to perch on my shoulders. Gotta say, she's my favorite!

Some folks want to keep them separate, and a larger bird *COULD* do a lot more damage than a smaller one, but in my experience, whether raised together or not, the silkies will take any opportunity to rule the roost. Today I saw a sizzle cockerel attacking an exhibition sized largefowl barred rock cockerel three times his size. I rescued the rock; the the sizzle ran off before I could pen him up for misbehavior. Oh, and the silkie hens rule the coops. This is TYPICAL for my flock, regardless of who they were raised with.

To add, the smaller the bird, the more vigorously she (or he) demands respect. If I want to make an accurate guess as to who is head hen in a coop--I look to the smallest hen first.

Good to know! It makes me feel better about Ella's situation. (She does zing the heck out of any Ameraucanas that think they might be sharing my lap with her ! She isn't into lap sharing, so it seems.
tongue.png
)

PS. I still intend to respond to your comments on the Sizzle thread. I've been digesting what you had to say and I do have some additional questions.
big_smile.png

this may be a stupid question but i will ask anyway. I have 2 white silkies. and i am incubating there eggs. i was wondering since it is two white silkies will all the chicks be white silkies?

Back
Top Bottom