Silkie thread!

Could you guys help a newbie out and show me some pics of your setups? Coops, runs, etc.. We're separating the Silkies from the RIRs so I'd love to see any small ideas that aren't too complex (we aren't exactly adept builders around here lol)

Could you guys help a newbie out and show me some pics of your setups? Coops, runs, etc.. We're separating the Silkies from the RIRs so I'd love to see any small ideas that aren't too complex (we aren't exactly adept builders around here lol)

I'm building this right now for my brother-- it will have a great big window where that hole is in front. :)
900x900px-LL-e7ecab6b_IMG_5820.jpeg

And then, this is my Mini (teeny tiny) silkie coop for a trio--- the other are penned up elsewhere. Oops-- looks like I don't have a "finished" picture of it. Ah well this is close enough-- have to take another one soon to update it. It has composite shingles on the roof. And it has a cute little flip out window (that isn't shown in this picture)
900x900px-LL-6fcc9494_IMG_3534.jpeg

Then... this is my large coop where everyone else goes that I'm not working with right now. Basically layers and all of my Polish. The dog kennel is temporary-- I'm building a nice long run off the back of it. Actually going to repurpose that dog run for another Silkie pen! LOL
900x900px-LL-031b53af_IMG_3517.jpeg

After this last coop (the first one) is done, I have to build one for a customer exactly like it and then I'm going to build another one for myself, too for another trio. The projects NEVER end. You think it will... but they don't.

ETA: BTW, just wanted to say that the first coop I showed-- I've only got $89 invested in it right now. I used 17 2X4's (4 of them were pressure treated for the posts to stand on). Then the OSB board for the floor is $5 a sheet, and I have extra left over flooring vinyl from another coop, but it was originally $29 for a 12X9ft I think at Sutherlands. I got my window (which isn't shown) for $5 at ReStore (Habitat for Humanity) and then the pine fencing pickets were a little over a dollar a piece-- but I cut them in half and was able to get more for my money there-- I believe I bought around 20 of them... or more? The shingles will be the most expensive part of the entire coop! Shingles run right around $30-50 a box. I buy the cheap shingles and be sure to use the tin drip liner that goes around the edge of your roof and I ALWAYS use the heavy tar felt before I lay any shingles. Don't skimp on your roof or you won't have a building at all. Just sayin'.
wink.png
(all the other building supplies I bought at Lowes)

Last edited:
Hawkeye95 those coops are AWESOME! I wished that I lived closer so that I could commission one for myself...or have you teach me how to build one....
bow.gif

I'm putting the final painting touches (the trim) on my new coops today so I'll get pix to post soon. Why is it that I drag my feet about doing stuff around the house yet when it's a bird/horse project I can't wait to get out there to work on it?

And I LOVE all the gorgeous Silkie pix!!! It makes it really feel like spring!

Start of my grow out pen for my young silkies, going to have a hinged cover on top, and reinforcing the sides with 2X4 welded wire. This is just the daytime pen for the teenagers to enjoy the grass and have fun. :) Gotta build me a couple more of these, really simple (except the tin cutting UGH) and will work great.

the pen beside there is my big layer coop, for my brahmas and EEs

looks good! I have 24 silkie chicks and a full hovabator....maybe its time to start more growout pens...
barnie.gif

Start of my grow out pen for my young silkies, going to have a hinged cover on top, and reinforcing the sides with 2X4 welded wire. This is just the daytime pen for the teenagers to enjoy the grass and have fun. :) Gotta build me a couple more of these, really simple (except the tin cutting UGH) and will work great.

the pen beside there is my big layer coop, for my brahmas and EEs

We are still in the process of building ours. Here it is so far. We are hoping to have it done this weekend or early next week.

It is a garden coop. Top left is where the hen house goes. Our plan is to mirror it and have a second one just like it attached. We have WAY too much invested in this and it is our first big building project. It is 5X10.

Hawkeye, how big is your trio pen? I am going to need a few of those eventually.

Hawkeye95 those coops are AWESOME! I wished that I lived closer so that I could commission one for myself...or have you teach me how to build one....
bow.gif

I'm putting the final painting touches (the trim) on my new coops today so I'll get pix to post soon. Why is it that I drag my feet about doing stuff around the house yet when it's a bird/horse project I can't wait to get out there to work on it?

And I LOVE all the gorgeous Silkie pix!!! It makes it really feel like spring!
Thank you! Yeah, I've been turning down people to make coops for, because I've been making them for myself and family. Right now, making the one for my brother. But a couple of days ago, this 70 yr old lady came out to my house and begged me to make her one. Her DH had just died and she was struggling to do anything for herself with the house/yard, etc. She said he used to do it all. She went out and bought 6 little layer chicks and drove over here. I didn't know she was coming-- I don't even know her!! She found out about me thru someone else. Anyway, I took pity and we priced one out for her. Sigh. I'm a softie, because I'm already so busy! LOL But I really like the design for the smaller coop and it's fast and easy to build. Post pics when you get your coop done!

My Silkies have started to pip ... 3 so far (out of a possible 16) ... including one of the whites!!! Friends for my Elliot are on their way! Woo hoo!!!

wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
YAY!!! That's great!!

We are still in the process of building ours. Here it is so far. We are hoping to have it done this weekend or early next week.

It is a garden coop. Top left is where the hen house goes. Our plan is to mirror it and have a second one just like it attached. We have WAY too much invested in this and it is our first big building project. It is 5X10.

Hawkeye, how big is your trio pen? I am going to need a few of those eventually.
That is looking fabulous!! You are going to have a nice looking coop there! My little bitty trio coop is SMALL! It's only 4ft long by 2.5 feet wide. Then I put on a nice big nest box that adds another foot to that. But since they all pile up together at night anyway, I figured it's no big deal. And they don't spend any time in it during the day. And honestly, it's only that small because I was using scrap wood from my Redwood playset that blew down in our last tornado and I didn't have anything longer! ha! The 5X3ft is the one I really like-- plenty of room and then when you add on the nest box (I make mine come out 15 inches) -- it's really the best size, but it gets really heavy if you are going to try to move it around.

Back
Top Bottom