Silkie thread!

I have some question about breeding with Silkie's if everyone could put a input in that would be great thank you all.

I wanted to know how people make the buff color in Silkie's and how the make the splash color and lavender color. Next question how do you make a Sizzle? I have different colors of the silkie's and different colors of frizzle cochin bantams also have bantam frizzle polish to work with. I have tons of bantam polish colored chicken to. I have a lot of different breeds of bantams and standard chickens. I would like to make a few projects for myself to do. Please fill me in on how to do so and what you guys all think on your own type of mixing you have done or even what you want to do or even what you think might be really cool to try. I wanted to play around on paper first and get other peoples thoughts and ideas from other people before even doing so first. Thank you all again! Everyone please join in and play!

He has a better crest then my rooster.
smile.png
But he should have more feathers on his feet.
Yeah, I'm gathering he's not the most perfect specimen physically. Ah, well. He makes up for it all in personality! I'll stay with $25 for him, unless you all think that's just way too much.

Question:

Have two silkie hens I just bought they are about 6 months and 1 1/2 years old, want to introduce them to the flock however they are all about 6 week to 8 weeks old. My coop is about a 8 by 8 and I have 2 americauna hens, 2 wyandottes hens, 2 bantam one a roo one a hen, 2 bantam old english hens, and 2 silkie chicks (not sure the sex yet), I know I am over the limit and am ging to rehome my bantam cochin roo, and my other bantam I think she is a mix kinda looks like a wyandotte. But not sure when to do it? Someone said 3 months another person said 5 months. Any suggestions?

Thanks for letting me know. Since my 3 Silkies have 17 other chicks that can fly or roost as coop mates, should we make somewhere special for them to sleep at night on the floor? I don't want the other 17 pooping on the white Silkies at night. Or maybe they will just jump in the next boxes. I was planning on 3 nest boxes in the new coop. LOL, my first instinct is to give them a comfy washable dog bed with no one roosting above. But that is probably wrong. Will they be happy with hay or shavings to sleep on? Thanks for the info.

I forgot to answer your other question. If you cross breed you will have very little silkie feathers.
Thanks again. Will it make any difference if the silkie is the hen or the rooster? Since they are all only 2 1/2 weeks old, I really don't know what I have yet. Besides the 3 silkies, I have 2 Millie Fleur D' Uccle, 2 Lavender D'Uccle, 1 Lavender OEGB, 1 Barred Cochin, and the rest i think are EE, Cochins, and a couple I have no idea yet. And I have no idea of how many are roosters yet. As far as the Silkies go, we have 2 wide combs and 1 narrow comb if that means anything yet. Well, thanks for the info.

Thanks for letting me know. Since my 3 Silkies have 17 other chicks that can fly or roost as coop mates, should we make somewhere special for them to sleep at night on the floor? I don't want the other 17 pooping on the white Silkies at night. Or maybe they will just jump in the next boxes. I was planning on 3 nest boxes in the new coop. LOL, my first instinct is to give them a comfy washable dog bed with no one roosting above. But that is probably wrong. Will they be happy with hay or shavings to sleep on? Thanks for the info.
I would try a comfy pile of hay or shavings but it hasn't worked for me. :D You may need to wait until they pick a spot and then cover that area with a poop sheild and hope they don't switch spots!

Thanks again. Will it make any difference if the silkie is the hen or the rooster? Since they are all only 2 1/2 weeks old, I really don't know what I have yet. Besides the 3 silkies, I have 2 Millie Fleur D' Uccle, 2 Lavender D'Uccle, 1 Lavender OEGB, 1 Barred Cochin, and the rest i think are EE, Cochins, and a couple I have no idea yet. And I have no idea of how many are roosters yet. As far as the Silkies go, we have 2 wide combs and 1 narrow comb if that means anything yet. Well, thanks for the info.
No difference hen or roo but if you breed that cross back to silkie then you get silkie feathering again. Comb at 2 1/2 weeks could mean something if you have hatchery chicks. Any sign of red in the comb at an early age is very likely a roo.

This may have been addressed already, but at what age does it become obvious that a silkie has split wing?
I've have some at 2 months that I was sure were split wing and it went away. If it looks really drastic at a few weeks I sell them as pets but some would say that is a mistake and that you should keep them until adult feathering comes in. I don't have room to keep them all that long.

Back
Top Bottom