Silkie thread!

I have some questions about breeding with Silkie's. If everyone could put a input in that would be great thank you all.

I wanted to know how people make the buff color in Silkie's and how the make the splash color and lavender color. Next question how do you make a Sizzle? I have different colors of the silkie's and different colors of frizzle cochin bantams also have bantam frizzle polish to work with. I have tons of bantam polish colored chicken to. I have a lot of different breeds of bantams and standard chickens. I would like to make a few projects for myself to do. Please fill me in on how to do so and what you guys all think on your own type of mixing you have done or even what you want to do or even what you think might be really cool to try. I wanted to play around on paper first and get other peoples thoughts and ideas from other people before even doing so first. Thank you all again! Everyone please join in and play!

The colours you are asking about are not project colours so they are not "made" so to speak. They are bred forward as they are already well established within Silkies and in the SOP. If you want buff, start with buff parents. For splash, you can start with blue or splash (splash is two copies of the Bl gene.) Lavender (self-blue) can be started with either two parents carrying two copies of the lav gene (they would appear lavender) or you can start with birds you know are split for lavender (carrying one copy.) The wheel on these ones doesn't need to be re-invented. When a project in any particular colour and breed is started, you have to have the colour (genetic material) somewhere to work with. Then over MANY generations of careful crossing, you get a bird that begins to breed true. One of the current "project" colours people are working with in Silkies is porcelain. Porcelain is Buff and Lavender combined, I believe.

Sizzles could work for you as a project. Sizzles are a frizzled bird crossed with a Silkie, I believe.

I have a question, that I hope hasn't already been asked- so if it has, sorry to repeat
smile.png
I was reading through the Silkies of a different color thread, and I learned that Porcelain is Buff dilluted with Lavendar. So, will my little Porcelain Silkie boys show the red patches Buff males get as they feather in? I hope that makes sense! I have 2 chicks with swept back hair do's. One is a blue cuckoo, I think. The other is an off color, but its got some red coming in on the wings. Then I have 3 Porcelain chicks. 2 of them have nice round crests, and they've got blonde feathers coming in along with their lavendar. The 3rd is looking a little messy in the crest department and it looks a little darker in the wing area then the other 2. Is this an indicator of sex? I've also noticed the 3 I think are boys hang together, and nip at me when I handle them. Anyway, my chicks are somewhere around 6 or 7 weeks old so I know I'm probably jumping the gun but they're driving me crazy! Thanks for any insight you can offer!!!!

just bought a silkie chick a week a go now it is spradle legged or somtheing is there someting i can do to help it?

i can't stant up just sits like this.

just bought a silkie chick a week a go now it is spradle legged or somtheing is there someting i can do to help it?

i can't stant up just sits like this.
What kind of bedding are you using, newspaper by any chance? If it is a slippery surface like newspaper, they can't get a stable footing, and can end up with spraddle leg. Kind of odd for it to just come on now though, he is a bit older than those that usually get it. Does he act sick at all? You can make a leg brace for him with Vet Wrap and give him some Poly Vi-Sol vitamins (no iron type), and see if that doesn't help him.

Quote: First generation cross can look pretty decent. But not so the next few. Do yourself a favour and purchase sizzles that are already a number of generations into development.

Buff is a complicated genetic recipe built on a wheaten or brown/partridge base; splash is two copies of the blue gene diluting a black base; and lavender is two copies of the lavender gene diluting a black base.

Quote: Quite frankly, I can't tell much about the quality of the bird from the photos other than he is not in condition. I've sure seen birds with broken foot feathers that look like to lack middle toe feathering, but when they molt and grow new feathers, there they all are. From the one dry photo, it is difficult to evaluate type. Just can't see enough of the bird.

Quote:
The colours you are asking about are not project colours so they are not "made" so to speak. They are bred forward as they are already well established within Silkies and in the SOP. If you want buff, start with buff parents. For splash, you can start with blue or splash (splash is two copies of the Bl gene.) Lavender (self-blue) can be started with either two parents carrying two copies of the lav gene (they would appear lavender) or you can start with birds you know are split for lavender (carrying one copy.) The wheel on these ones doesn't need to be re-invented. When a project in any particular colour and breed is started, you have to have the colour (genetic material) somewhere to work with. Then over MANY generations of careful crossing, you get a bird that begins to breed true. One of the current "project" colours people are working with in Silkies is porcelain. Porcelain is Buff and Lavender combined, I believe.

Sizzles could work for you as a project. Sizzles are a frizzled bird crossed with a Silkie, I believe.
t took about 20 years from the beginning to get lavender (self blue) recognized in the standard. Sizzles that are a number of generations into development are a still project. Better to get some that are already well on their way than to start again. It would be almost as hard as starting to re-create showgirls.

Back
Top Bottom