Silkie thread!

what are them
hmm.png

Hello! I was wondering if any silkie show people could help me. I have never shown any of my chickens before, but, the county fair is coming up in August, and there is going to be a chicken show. It is a very small fair, and last year the chicken show was very small. I figure this year I'm going to give it a try. I have nothing to lose after all :) Anyway, there are three classes. Meat birds, egg layers, and fancy feathers. You can only enter one bird per category. i have two silkies that I'd like to take, but I can only take one. Please can you offer any criticism on either of them. I know they're not perfect show birds, but I think that my little county fair chicken show would be fun, and I'd like to participate. The ones to chose from are the buff hen (the roo is just getting over a case of wry neck), or the dark blue pullet. The splash hen has a sixth toe on one foot, and is moulting. Which one would you take, and why?

Hello! I was wondering if any silkie show people could help me. I have never shown any of my chickens before, but, the county fair is coming up in August, and there is going to be a chicken show. It is a very small fair, and last year the chicken show was very small. I figure this year I'm going to give it a try. I have nothing to lose after all :) Anyway, there are three classes. Meat birds, egg layers, and fancy feathers. You can only enter one bird per category. i have two silkies that I'd like to take, but I can only take one. Please can you offer any criticism on either of them. I know they're not perfect show birds, but I think that my little county fair chicken show would be fun, and I'd like to participate. The ones to chose from are the buff hen (the roo is just getting over a case of wry neck), or the dark blue pullet. The splash hen has a sixth toe on one foot, and is moulting. Which one would you take, and why?

It's so hard to tell by photos alone, but I would say the dark pullet is your better bet -- she looks fuller in tail and cushion. I like the size of her crest, too, which is more of a medium crest, as called for in the Standard of Perfection. However, if the buff pullet is nice and clear (no dark feathers in wings or tail) you might want to take her, as clear buffs are harder to come by and might appeal to a judge for that reason. Just going with the photos, I still say dark girl, shown as blue? (her lighter feet make me think blue, although she looks a little too dark)

Back
Top Bottom