Silkie thread!

_MG_3170.jpg
My hen Flora Mae with some of her RSL babies :p

Sanna, that is a loaded question about what goes into a paint breeding. I know that the white they are using is a dominant white-- which pretty much the white silkies everyone has is not. The paint (black spots) are supposedly caused by holes in the pigment... but I know that theory is still trying to be tested and figured out. I haven't done much reading on it, but it doesn't sound easy at all. And no, they don't breed true. And apparently you aren't supposed to breed paint X paint --- but have a black (a REAL solid black) over paint. Finding a good black isn't easy. How many pictures do people post here of their "black" birds that are really blue? All the time. Are you sure the P wasn't for Partridge? Especially if you got a partridge out of it?
hu.gif
I got shipped eggs not to long ago and one was labeled BS (blue/or splash) and I hatched out a partridge. Mistakes happen...
wink.png
Anyway, read this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/429754/the-american-paint-silkie It is the paint thread set up for silkies. Reading the background and seeing how they are working toward paints is very interesting, but it also sounds like you need a PhD in genetics! LOL Sonoran is breeding paints, too. She has a really amazing paint in her avatar.

Yes, you are right!! Wow, if you hadn't posted the close-ups, it was tough to see. :)

I use the zipties right when they hatch so I know who is from who. SOS-- I was going to attend a show in another week, but they required the 90 day test (which I have) and numbered Closed bands. Since mine are all open (I'm not talking about the zipties)... I'm guessing they are talking about the ones that have to be put on with a tool. I didn't know if I wanted to buy all the stuff for that and then something better happens along for a closed band. Any ideas on closed bands?? Anyway, that show also coincided with the kids first week of school, so I decided against it. I don't have the right kind of bands anyway, apparently. I need to find out more about it, because that was a pretty large show, and one I will try to get to next year. But I need to be better prepared for it. The other shows have not required closed bands.

are you sure they aren't talking about the closed NPIP or test bands? I know here they want the tamper proof closed test bands on tested birds, all my adult tested birds have a tool closed band when they were tested by the state... maybe thats what they're talking about and not ID bands??? I'd never heard of that before :/

I tried the spiral ones, and it was awful. They were extremely hard to get on, and it hurt them when I tried. I would get something besides the spiral. As for size, I have no idea
idunno.gif
aoxa these here are the best chick bands i have ever used the like an elastic but coloured go on easy u streach them and then put them on in a few weeks i cut them of and but them on bigger ones untill about 5 months old and then i put leg bandttes on hope this helps

here ia the link http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-LEG-BAND...ltDomain_0&hash=item4aa4dad00b#ht_5383wt_1052

Last edited:
Can I post about silkie bantams here or is there another page?
Yep, post away! :) There are other pages, but they are more specific to genetics or coloring or showing.

are you sure they aren't talking about the closed NPIP or test bands? I know here they want the tamper proof closed test bands on tested birds, all my adult tested birds have a tool closed band when they were tested by the state... maybe thats what they're talking about and not ID bands??? I'd never heard of that before :/
I don't know. The requirements did not state an NPIP flock number, but simply said that you must have a 90 day test certificate (which I have for the show season) and a numbered closed band on all birds brought to the show that reflected the same numbers on the 90 day certificate. And when we did our testing, the vets that did it said they don't band, and that the NPIP form doesn't state for them to list every banded bird on the premises. So our State rules must be different here. Banding must be up to the individual owner, I suppose. So I'm guessing it's up to me to find out what this closed banding is and hunt it down. Because if I'm going to keep showing, the birds I show MUST be banded and noted on my certificate. Sigh. So, is there a place to buy these NPIP bands? Or I'm guessing any closed band will work....

I absolutely love my silkies. I currently have blacks, blues, splash, whites, buff, calico, and true silvers. I just ordered a few hatching eggs of Porcelain, Paint, and Cuckoo. Hopefully I have a good hatch. So far all of my silkies are show quality. I'm in Nebraska, if anyone is close let me know if you are looking for a few more silkies.

We'd love to see some pictures!! :)

Back
Top Bottom