Silkie thread!

I wonder why Elvis has tried to mate with Patunia if there is a better chance of this one being a boy? S/he is 6 months old. When I look at them this one looks fuller than the lighter color one. I can try to take better pictures. Doesnt matter I need a nice boy anyway.

I just took a few more pics I will get them loaded up. I got some side by side shots (well tried) It seems the males are the prettiest then if this is true the darker one would be a male.... its so pretty.

Here are two pictures of the two that were sent to me before I got them. The breeder was selling them as the first one pullet the second one cockeral. Later when another breeder friend of hers came by they told her the second one was most likely a pullet as well. The time difference from these pictures and mine is two weeks.

Last edited:
Okay.. So we thought this chick was splash, but it looks calico. Yes, no?

_MG_3566.jpg
I was told not too long ago that Calico is an "oopsie" color and they invented the word Calico so they could sell really bad Splash with horrible leakage as a "color". So just a heads up on that.

And here the "paint" is on the left.

Is there any way of telling what colors these little ones will turn out to be when they grow up?
What breeding did you buy? That would be the way to know what they will look like. Your "paint" is not a paint. They come out looking white. You just have another partridge there-- but it kind of looks like it may be a blue partridge. Interesting.

I wanted to post some pictures of my breeding paints. I am so lucky to have gotten these and thanks to Hawkeye for helping me not miss such a great bunch

I have 3 paint girls over one black roo.
This is Elvis. I almost passed on him but when Hawkeye saw his picture and was
droolin.gif
and got him. And it is working out beautifully so far.

Your porcelains look really pretty and so do those paints! Lucky you!! :) What happened to this roo?? In the picture we looked at that was sent to you, his comb was a bit smaller and he was very black looking. He looks sun bleached now and his comb has grown bigger. Hmmm.... Wait for him to molt and see if those feathers come in black again. I still recognize him, but they did not send you a recent picture of him that accurately showed what he looks like now. But I think you did pretty well on the rest of your birds. :)

Fascinating how different different flocks can be. My polish are the meekest of all my birds and breeds.
Yes, indeed!! Yeah, I would never put my Polish in with my layers if I had it to do all over again. But I really wanted to throw some layers in with my Polish so that I could get some nice big brown eggs to eat. What a mistake. I'm wanting to build some conditioning pens in my barn for both the silkies and my Polish prospects. I swear my dad had an easier time of this than I am having! LOL His Polish always looked perfect. Mine are all beat up, poor things.

Funny that calicoes are an 'oops' because that is the exact coloring I am hoping to get from my hatch! And the lady that sold me the eggs said she would pay 'good money' to buy back a calico pullet if I was willing to part with one. I take it she is actively trying to breed calicoes. My luck though, I will get a calico roo. :rolleyes: I can't keep roosters in city limits and she only needed another pullet. Wonder if they will ever be a standardized and recognized color...

Funny that calicoes are an 'oops' because that is the exact coloring I am hoping to get from my hatch! And the lady that sold me the eggs said she would pay 'good money' to buy back a calico pullet if I was willing to part with one. I take it she is actively trying to breed calicoes. My luck though, I will get a calico roo.
roll.png
I can't keep roosters in city limits and she only needed another pullet. Wonder if they will ever be a standardized and recognized color...
yes calicos are an opps bird but there is a few breeders out there including myself that are trying to improve the colour so one day its name is not put to shame i personally like calico better then grey :) thats my thoughts tho and why im trying to improve them

I wanted to post some pictures of my breeding paints. I am so lucky to have gotten these and thanks to Hawkeye for helping me not miss such a great bunch

I have 3 paint girls over one black roo.
This is Elvis. I almost passed on him but when Hawkeye saw his picture and was
droolin.gif
and got him. And it is working out beautifully so far.

Here is Veronica. She literally just hatched the one egg she came home with. Got her name from the middle part of ann"ver"sary.

Here is her chick

This is Ann. Her name comes from Anniversary. Since all these new paints were my anniversary present.

This is Suri. Yep her name comes from the last part of anniversary(the sound of it not the spelling)

I also got 2 porcelain pullets. I kept their names as is.
Penelope. First the breeder thought cockeral, but someone told her pullet so penelope may turn out to be a Pete, but that okay since I do need a male. This one is a little on the lighter side for porcelain.

Here is Patunia :

I did try to take photos of my 4 grow out paints and my 4 porcelains and this is what I got:

They all flew off the table and I had to go and catch them... that was fun in the heat so I just skipped it.
You've got some gorgeous color going on. I love the color of your porcelain pullet. That last photo made me laugh!!

What breeding did you buy? That would be the way to know what they will look like. Your "paint" is not a paint. They come out looking white. You just have another partridge there-- but it kind of looks like it may be a blue partridge. Interesting.
Not sure. I ordered eggs from Catdance, so whatever she has in her paint pen would be the answer.
big_smile.png
Either way, I'm excited to see how my little partridge children will turn out when they're all grown up.

I have blue born all the time with pink toes and they are dark in a few weeks so don't worry yet. :)
Oh good!
big_smile.png
There's another splash that hatched today and three toes, the tips of it's toes are pink. So there's still hope!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom