Silkie thread!

I absolutely love my silkies. I currently have blacks, blues, splash, whites, buff, calico, and true silvers. I just ordered a few hatching eggs of Porcelain, Paint, and Cuckoo. Hopefully I have a good hatch. So far all of my silkies are show quality. I'm in Nebraska, if anyone is close let me know if you are looking for a few more silkies.

Its a lot easier to sell silkies if you show pics. If i read correctly all the silkies you hatched are show quality? Thats hard to believe. And if they are not mature its quite hard to say they are show quality. Just my opinion. Many have been burned by the " show quality" description.

Does anyone know if there is evidence that a bigger combed rooster has better fertility? I had a friend (who breeds silkies) tell me that. Now, I'm curious if those of you who breed have found this true in your flocks?

My BB that became Bullet (after crowing a couple of times) still has a small comb at 6 months, about the size of a pea. If Bullet is a rooster, I hope he can still do his job and not "shoot blanks"! I've heard that roosters keep growing into their "glory" until after a year old.

Its a real possibility that the larger combed roosters have higher fertility rates. Female chickens, pullets and hens a like, are drawn to males with the larger combs and who appear to be more mature than other males.

- edit to add on -
Then its perceivable to say they get the job done more often than not.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is evidence that a bigger combed rooster has better fertility? I had a friend (who breeds silkies) tell me that. Now, I'm curious if those of you who breed have found this true in your flocks?

My BB that became Bullet (after crowing a couple of times) still has a small comb at 6 months, about the size of a pea. If Bullet is a rooster, I hope he can still do his job and not "shoot blanks"! I've heard that roosters keep growing into their "glory" until after a year old.
Sonoran has mentioned this too. But I've heard it from more places than just her! I think there is some very real merit in large combs, because I have read this over and over again (not just on BYC). I don't know if there has actually been a study done by a University or not... but I would bet this is something that has just been observed over and over again by breeders over the years that have come to this same conclusion.

Sonoran has mentioned this too. But I've heard it from more places than just her! I think there is some very real merit in large combs, because I have read this over and over again (not just on BYC). I don't know if there has actually been a study done by a University or not... but I would bet this is something that has just been observed over and over again by breeders over the years that have come to this same conclusion.
My porcelain cockerel is barely 4 mths., has a large comb and already acting like a year old roo. My blue roo had a very small comb at six months and did not breed until 10 mths. He had a large comb by that time.

My porcelain cockerel is barely 4 mths., has a large comb and already acting like a year old roo. My blue roo had a very small comb at six months and did not breed until 10 mths. He had a large comb by that time.
OMGosh, Peep, he is gorgeous!!!!!! Holy crest! He is amazing! He is 4 MONTHS old!??!?!
droolin.gif
WOW. He's going to be so filled in...

He is a handsome, dude!
love.gif

One of my 4-month old splash cockerels had a big comb like your porcelain (but was sold because of extreme red leakage on wings). My other splash, Leo (@ 4 mos old) has a big comb still developing underneath the crest. It is bigger than Bullets at least. Than I have a beautiful splash cockerel with the single comb. I read a link or post somewhere that "single combed" roosters have higher fertility also. At least between my 3 cockerels one of them will eventually give me some babies.
fl.gif

OMGosh, Peep, he is gorgeous!!!!!! Holy crest! He is amazing! He is 4 MONTHS old!??!?!
droolin.gif
WOW. He's going to be so filled in...
Yes, 4 1/2 mths. I keep very accurate records and have photos with dates to back them up. Just a really fast maturing line I guess
but hoping that comb doesn't keep growing for the next 8 mths.!!
barnie.gif
He is really pretty though and no faults except the big comb for his age. Also, he has black in his hackles and I don't think that's good. I really don't know much about porcelain. I think there is so much disagreement that no one talks about them.

Back
Top Bottom