Silkie thread!

Mamma2by4- Thanks! Summer has been a wonderful momma so far. She is mellow to the tenth power; lets me touch the chicks and I think she will continue to so long as I don't upset them. Attacked the waterer when I moved it closer though.
lol.png
I got some closer pics today, sorry if they come through a bit grainy. I only have my phone for pics at the moment.

Hey guys! I'm a little late on sharing these pics, but better late then never! These are my incubator babies, out of 14 eggs, I ended up with 5 beautiful babies. Which, isn't the greatest hatch rate ever, but I'm happy with them! I ended up with a black (or dark blue), blue cuckoo, light blue, white and porcelain :D
photobucket-2081-1344521457696.jpg

Hey guys! I'm a little late on sharing these pics, but better late then never! These are my incubator babies, out of 14 eggs, I ended up with 5 beautiful babies. Which, isn't the greatest hatch rate ever, but I'm happy with them! I ended up with a black (or dark blue), blue cuckoo, light blue, white and porcelain
big_smile.png

AWWWWW! SO sweet!!!!

I think my silkies have lice :(( I'm so sad,,anyone else have lice ?? what a pain in the butt.,
If you think they do, then they do! Be sure to dust every one of them with Sevin. Mites and lice can kill a bird pretty quickly.

Going to get some better pics tonight but what color do The Experts think the three babies are? The breeder said they came from MottledxPartridge and SplashxPartridge parantage. They all look straight mottled to me...

They look blue. Sonoran has been working on mottled silkies. I've seen other attempts, too... these don't look like mottled to me. But either way, you won't really see their true colors until they are a few months old anyway. :) Cute picture! Looks like a great mama you have there.

I feel silly even asking this question. Can I have Blue, Black and Splash birds all together in a breeding pen? Is this considered BBS or is it because the birds could throw Blue, black, and splash chicks? How do you know if a specific hen or roo is from BBS?
The best way to breed BBS (blue, black and splash) would be to run your blue and splash together. The BEST blacks come from separate pens that are bred Black X Black and are brought in to splash to help with color that is becoming washed out. You can throw black from BBS pens (from Blue X Blue or Blue X Black) but apparently they won't be as nice as the ones coming from all black X black breedings. Blacks are hard to breed for as they can have gold leakage crop up even after a year of age-- past when you're in the clear for most colors.

Hey guys! I'm a little late on sharing these pics, but better late then never! These are my incubator babies, out of 14 eggs, I ended up with 5 beautiful babies. Which, isn't the greatest hatch rate ever, but I'm happy with them! I ended up with a black (or dark blue), blue cuckoo, light blue, white and porcelain
big_smile.png

Love the little one crashed out in the back! cute!!

Do you guys put sevins dust in your dust baths even if you don't see lice or mites? I have never seen any and have never treated. Just wondering if I should do it as a preventive.

Hi everyone I'm looking for help on colors. These are my first silkies. They are 9 weeks old. Thanks for any guesses or expert opinions :)

For your first silkies, you have some really nice ones! I love the way they all look! The one with the silver/gray feathers is what I would call a silver partridge. The others with the brown tones, I would call partridge and blue partridge. A darker partridge male would work really well with the lighter hens. You have your birds in nice condition. They look very clean and healthy. Do a search for partridge silkies and I think you will see birds similar to what you have.

Back
Top Bottom