Silkie thread!

I think it was born that way so I dont know what to do....????
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/690632/silkie-breeding-genetics-showing/400#post_9524123
Read up on it here. Some claim genetic, some claim incubation issue. Everyone seems in agreement that they should not be bred either way. We were talking crooked beak, and not scissor beak. I would most definitely not breed her if it was scissor beak.

ETA: Depending on how severe the cross beak is, I would cull if it prevents her from living normally. Eating and drinking is critical for survival. If she can't do those things without help, you will have to make a lifelong commitment to making sure she gets what she needs. It would take a lot of hard work, but the condition will not correct itself.

Last edited:
I talked to the owner of a hatchery and he said the Silkie breed is notorious for having misaligned beaks and to take finger nail trimmers and trim off a little of the side that sticks out more every couple of weeks and it will eventually correct itself.
cross beak is NOT common in silkies, unless you are breeding with bad genetics and just continue to pass on bad genetics.

I think the correct way to put it is:
"I talked to the owner of a hatchery and he said THEIR Silkies are notorious for having misaligned beaks and to take finger nail trimmers and trim off a little of the side that sticks out more every couple of weeks and it will eventually correct itself."
I have never had a scissor beak silkie, but I've never purchased from a hatchery either
wink.png
Absolutely! That is their problem! They should be culling and not breeding problem birds, but hatcheries are breeding for numbers, not for good birds.

Ok so what do I do trim the beak or cull the chick? Is it genetic to be passed on to the next gen.?
You don't have to cull the chick, keep it as a pet. But absolutely do NOT breed this chick. Yes, it is genetic and it will pass on. Why perpetuate an already known problem? The BEST breeders will cull birds for a lot less than a beak issue. A beak problem is a BIG deal. In fact, I won't even sell a bird that has such a major defect like a twisted beak, I will give it away free. So long as it's a hen, some people don't care because all they want is a backyard pet to lay them eggs.

I've gotten confused...what is the difference between crooked beak, crossed beak, twisted beak and scissor beak? Sorry :-(
ETA: Keep in mind that cross beak or twists *usually* do NOT show up in chicks. It usually starts to appear around 6-8 weeks of age. So you can have a perfectly normal looking chick that will suddenly develop this condition. Good idea to check your breeding stock at that point and look for very subtle beak issues and cull them.

A crooked beak/twisted beak looks like this: (the upper and lower beak align up and do NOT cross) It is guessed to be genetic, but there are arguments that it could be positioning in the egg... but too risky to chance breeding. The entire skull is twisted in this type of beak issue.
900x900px-LL-e8c6a1d7_IMG_6851.jpeg

A cross beak (or I've heard people call it scissor beak) looks like this: This IS genetic and will be passed on to offspring!
crookedbeak11.jpg

and can be as severe as this:
22179_crossbeak.jpg

Last edited:
I have more pictures with questions! lol

One of my splash chicks has a beak where the 'top' is much longer than 'bottom' and the top is sort of growing over the bottom. Is this something I should be worried about? Maybe trim it shorter? I just noticed it as I was going through my photos. I'm pretty sure the beak is straight, I'll get a better look tomorrow in the daylight to be sure.

I'm also wondering about our black(?) hens. I'm thinking that the one in the right picture is actually a really dark blue? Same hen in the picture on the left side; left side in this picture. The second hen (right side in left picture) with some feathers missing on her head. lol She's a little bit darker. Is she black? I'll take better pictures if these won't cut it.
big_smile.png

Then little chicky pictures just for fun.
big_smile.png

One of the little partridges on the watermelon and my white chick with tailfeathers that look like a dandelion seed head. lol

One more question, then I'm done. I promise!

How close to good type is this hen when it comes to the "S" shape? I know she doesn't have enough of a crest or cushion etc. Her tail feathers look a little flat in this picture..normally she carries it a little higher.
Feel free to give any opinions on my pet hen, good and bad!
big_smile.png

That's it. I'm done.
lol.png

ETA:  Keep in mind that cross beak or twists *usually* do NOT show up in chicks.  It usually starts to appear around 6-8 weeks of age.  So you can have a perfectly normal looking chick that will suddenly develop this condition. Good idea to check your breeding stock at that point and look for very subtle beak issues and cull them.

A crooked beak/twisted beak looks like this:  (the upper and lower beak align up and do NOT cross)  It is guessed to be genetic, but there are arguments that it could be positioning in the egg... but too risky to chance breeding.  The entire skull is twisted in this type of beak issue.
900x900px-LL-e8c6a1d7_IMG_6851.jpeg

A cross beak (or I've heard people call it scissor beak) looks like this:  This IS genetic and will be passed on to offspring!
crookedbeak11.jpg

and can be as severe as this:
22179_crossbeak.jpg

Thank you very much, excellent info w/photos. I just want to give each of those birds a hug...

Back
Top Bottom