Silkie thread!

I will more than likely be glued to the Silkie isle and every once in a while, checking out my LF Ameraucanas. I hope we get a chance to connect. Would LOVE to meet you in person!!! :D  You can meet my BIG boys! ;)
Would love to see him :)

Not sure what time we will be there, but we will be going down every isle. I hope someone shows some houdans! If I saw some good ones, I'd be tempted.. I have 4 pairs at home. I also FINALLY have some bantam Ameraucana eggs that are fertile and growing. I was worried I would have to do AI. He was not mating them at all. I have at least 10 growing in the incubator. The rest look like blanks. The ones growing are all the same shade and density - Medium to see through. One is very easy to see through, one is very hard to see through, one is medium to see through.. So either he is only mating one hen, or the fertility rate sucks.. Plus my blue girl picks everyone's beard off :rant

I would have considered bringing them to that national.

The best silkies I have don't do well. The whites always win.. :p

I am not a fan of the white :oops:

Quote:
We could spend some time discussing the pros and cons of whites! I could give you an earful on BOTH sides!!!! Suffice to say, I LOVE my Elliot and am still sincerely searching out quality females for him even if he IS big!
tongue.png
But I have other colours too ....

I have HIGH hopes for my Mickey. He is black ....
big_smile.png
(extremely typy and NOT huge but he's not as "black" as black should be. So we'll see.)

I look forward to meeting you -- even if you don't love my Elliot
wink.png

Ok, so is this one a boy? I'm thinking yes.

Beak

Color of wattles, boy?

More wattles.

Comb

Feet

And this is where you experts get to tell me if this is a split wing??
hit.gif

And how bad are those two inner toes?

With feet and wings like that, would he be worthy of breeding? He's only 10 weeks old, should I wait and see?

Either way, he's a cutie pie.
love.gif

I think I'll call him Ace Ventura.
lol.png

is his beak croocked

i breed white to win and other colors to keep me happy lol

Really??? Well, GO Elliot. (There is NO question Elliot is my favourite boy but, as much as I love and adore him, I'm not convinced he is my best quality boy - to a point (he does have a lot going for him) .... ). Guess I still have a lot to learn about the world of showing Silkies.
idunno.gif

]

Ok, so is this one a boy? I'm thinking yes.

Either way, he's a cutie pie. :love

I think I'll call him Ace Ventura. :lol:

[/QUOTE

He's adorable :love and looks like he likes getting his picture taken. If he were mine I would keep him. Do you have that link to the split wing page?

Last edited:
Now I get why I was told this weekend not to bother bringing my "porcelain" pair to the show OR stressing about what to call them. "Until we get whites perfected in Canada, no point wasting time on anything else." Was basically it.
idunno.gif
(Thankfully, I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer and NEVER followed instructions.) We'll take our chances.

hmm.png

Now I get why I was told this weekend not to bother bringing my "porcelain" pair to the show OR stressing about what to call them. "Until we get whites perfected in Canada, no point wasting time on anything else." Was basically it.
idunno.gif
(Thankfully, I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer and NEVER followed instructions.) We'll take our chances.

hmm.png
there no such thing perfect and white are as close to it as posebale i think, it should be that hard to get good white in to canada my freind come back for with dogs all time it would be that hard to get hatching eggs or chicks to canada

We could spend some time discussing the pros and cons of whites! I could give you an earful on BOTH sides!!!! Suffice to say, I LOVE my Elliot and am still sincerely searching out quality females for him even if he IS big! :p  But I have other colours too ....

I have HIGH hopes for my Mickey. He is black .... :D   (extremely typy and NOT huge but he's not as "black" as black should be. So we'll see.)

I look forward to meeting you -- even if you don't love my Elliot ;)
Hey - I keep a white girl that I just love. Using her in my sizzle project.

I just find everyone does white. I like to be different. My favourite colours to work with and look at are project colours and Partridge. I just LOVE partridge. I like BBS as well.

Whites always have the best type :p Just a fact! Almost always win too. If you want some good whites for Elliot - consider talking to Jamie Carson. I think he's sold out for the year though.. I've actually been in his silkie pen and drooled on them a bit :lol:

I like HIS whites. :p

For me - whites are so hard to keep in condition. They have to be kept out of the sun, fed things that don't contain a lot of corn, and get very dirty.. My white that went to show was the hardest to prep. She had poop on her.. The partridge girls/guy that I brought were very easy to wash and still look clean after the show. The white girl is all dirty again :rolleyes:

I have never seen a real black silkie in show yet. They all have been dark blue. They were classified as blue too - not black. I'm not saying there were blacks that looked blue - just no blacks at all what-so-ever.

Someone gave me a trio of blacks.. Just gave them to me.. I sold them.. They were not good enough to breed. Their backs were too long, the male's crest was shameful.. I got quite a few other free birds from the same person.. Sold all but one polish who has kind of won me over. She reminds me of my very first chicken, and I couldn't resist. I'm a sucker for crested birds.

Back
Top Bottom