Silkie thread!

Ok, so is this one a boy? I'm thinking yes.

Beak

Color of wattles, boy?

More wattles.

Comb

Feet

And this is where you experts get to tell me if this is a split wing?? :hit

And how bad are those two inner toes?

With feet and wings like that, would he be worthy of breeding? He's only 10 weeks old, should I wait and see?

Either way, he's a cutie pie. :love

I think I'll call him Ace Ventura. :lol:

I think he's too young to sex personally, and i think he could still be a she...

Last edited:
Hey - I keep a white girl that I just love. Using her in my sizzle project.
I just find everyone does white. I like to be different. My favourite colours to work with and look at are project colours and Partridge. I just LOVE partridge. I like BBS as well.
Whites always have the best type
tongue.png
Just a fact! Almost always win too. If you want some good whites for Elliot - consider talking to Jamie Carson. I think he's sold out for the year though.. I've actually been in his silkie pen and drooled on them a bit
lol.png

I like HIS whites.
tongue.png

For me - whites are so hard to keep in condition. They have to be kept out of the sun, fed things that don't contain a lot of corn, and get very dirty.. My white that went to show was the hardest to prep. She had poop on her.. The partridge girls/guy that I brought were very easy to wash and still look clean after the show. The white girl is all dirty again
roll.png

I have never seen a real black silkie in show yet. They all have been dark blue. They were classified as blue too - not black. I'm not saying there were blacks that looked blue - just no blacks at all what-so-ever.
Someone gave me a trio of blacks.. Just gave them to me.. I sold them.. They were not good enough to breed. Their backs were too long, the male's crest was shameful.. I got quite a few other free birds from the same person.. Sold all but one polish who has kind of won me over. She reminds me of my very first chicken, and I couldn't resist. I'm a sucker for crested birds.
see i keep my silkies in doors but they stay the cleanest out all colors

Quote:
Colour may very well be our undoing. Elliot has been out in the sun all summer because he is a chicken first and a show bird very much second so he isn't as white as perhaps he could be. But he still cleans up pretty respectably. My black is from a blue pen and, therefore, not as black as black could be but I have to enter him as something. He's blacker than he is blue so black it is. I still think type should win the day on a well prepared bird even if I get comments on colour.

speaking of outdoors~My little piggy Kung FU white silkie likes dusting even if the ground is semi wet. The other day she was black. Was going to take a pic to show yas but by the time the battery was charged she was relatively clean. lol

Last edited:
I really wasn't meaning to criticise your circumstances. My silkies have restricted turnout (they don't free range) and they definitely don't get access to mud or rainy days. But they do get more sun and dirt time than many regular show birds.
im not mad, and my birds get sunlight and dirt that a bring in to the coop,i breed for showbirds and clean in door coops works the best for me

Back
Top Bottom