Silkie thread!

They all went broody together (I have four). One was a week later, but pretty much at the same time. I thought it was strange, but this was their first time
being broody too. Their first time and mine. All the eggs at the same time, all silkie but the three AMs I put in. I didn't realize keeping them together was not a good idea. But why would they only attack the non-silkies?
They won't. The first chick my silkies hatched was a barred rock x wyandotte. They don't discriminate.

Only issues with nesting in my experience is fighting over eggs. My girls traded back and forth. If one got up, the other stole the eggs and it continued. None were broken. However, when my cochin went broody, many tried to lay their eggs with her, and eggs were broken in the process.

My two are sharing babies as well (they went broody around the same time).
They're separate from the other silkie hens though.

Question: When would be the best time to let the momma hens and babies stay in the pen with the others?

OR when would be the best time to let the mommas back in the silkie pen, and let the chicks stay alone?
Your ladies are sooo pretty!! I would say about 4 weeks but moms can be really protective of their young. If you have very young chicks in the flock that aren't theirs they can really do a number on them. If there are no other young in the flock you may be able to mix them earlier.
They won't. The first chick my silkies hatched was a barred rock x wyandotte. They don't discriminate.
Only issues with nesting in my experience is fighting over eggs. My girls traded back and forth. If one got up, the other stole the eggs and it continued. None were broken. However, when my cochin went broody, many tried to lay their eggs with her, and eggs were broken in the process.

Huh? I am not asking if they will...I am stating that they DID. All of them - attacking the little black EE only. I watched it and saved the chick but I'm not so sure I should have. It is really scalped pretty badly. Silkie chicks are fine.

Your ladies are sooo pretty!! I would say about 4 weeks but moms can be really protective of their young. If you have very young chicks in the flock that aren't theirs they can really do a number on them. If there are no other young in the flock you may be able to mix them earlier.

Thank you! I don't have any really young ones in the pen.
The youngest one is 6-7 months old.

I posted this earlier and was told it was probably a girl. Today I noticed the comb when it got it's crest wet and it seems big to me. Do you still think this is a girl? 14 weeks old.

I don't know why what I wrote about the pic didn't show up with the pic. hemm

Also- she keeps puffing up like that and making a lot of noise. I think she's voting for the president, because she keeps saying: (BE RACK, BE RACK) and then then some loud chortles. Must louder than my other's. I'll need to snatch away my Chickens For Dummies from my brother, and see what she's talking about. Pam

Also- she keeps puffing up like that and making a lot of noise. I think she's voting for the president, because she keeps saying: (BE RACK, BE RACK) and then then some loud chortles. Must louder than my other's. I'll need to snatch away my Chickens For Dummies from my brother, and see what she's talking about. Pam
Funny post !!!

Lurkel The shape of your bird looks female. Do you see any sign of pointed hackels ? I think some females do have questionalbly large combs. ie combs that confuse when trying to determine gender.

Back
Top Bottom