Silkie thread!

Well it's a sad day
sad.png
Hachi was just killed by a hawk. I have never had a hawk problem here, but I just looked out the window to see what I thought was toulouse taking a bath in the leaves and then noticed it didn't have lacing on the feathers
th.gif
. Just buried her. She was my most beautiful girl too...
Im so sorry, we have hawks and cant let any of ours freerange and have to net the pens. Hope to never lose any of mine to predators. sometimes it seems like you do though no matter how safe you make them or careful you think you are.

Im so sorry, we have hawks and cant let any of ours freerange and have to net the pens. Hope to never lose any of mine to predators. sometimes it seems like you do though no matter how safe you make them or careful you think you are.
Thank you, they have been free ranging since they were babies and I have never had a problem before so I let my guard down. I even have a rooster too for that reason, but that CHICKEN just high tailed it and hid in the leaves
he.gif

Well it's a sad day
sad.png
Hachi was just killed by a hawk. I have never had a hawk problem here, but I just looked out the window to see what I thought was toulouse taking a bath in the leaves and then noticed it didn't have lacing on the feathers
th.gif
that is terrible I am so sorry for your loss. We also have a terrible hawk problem we have netted our coops also

Well it's a sad day
sad.png
th.gif

Oh no!! I'm so sorry :(
hugs.gif

Well it's a sad day
sad.png
th.gif

I remembered seeing pictures of Hachi.... I am really sorry
hugs.gif

Are any of you in the Michigan area? I hatched out 35 chicks in early August. Only 1 of the 12 silkie eggs I had hatched. All the rest are various LF. Now that they are all roosting at night, I feel bad for the little lone silkie sleeping on its own on the floor. The silkie, "Winter", is my three year old daughter's. I told her that I would try to get her 2 more since she had a bummer of a hatch. Do any of you have some insight on where I could find some3-5 month old silkies of decent quality? Also, how can I tell if our silkie is a male or female? I have a pretty good idea on what I am looking for with the other breeds, but am at a complete loss with the silkie. Thanks for any help you can give!
If you will post a couple of pictures we might be able to sex your silkie for you and explain why.
Well it's a sad day
sad.png
th.gif

I remembered seeing pictures of Hachi.... I am really sorry
hugs.gif
Absolutely heartbreaking.
hugs.gif

Thank you, they have been free ranging since they were babies and I have never had a problem before so I let my guard down. I even have a rooster too for that reason, but that CHICKEN just high tailed it and hid in the leaves
he.gif

really sorry for your loss...a hawk got into my grow out pen and killed all 4 of my very first silkies in one go...it was my fault as I had not put the netting up....again sorry to hear...

will the corid be ok for now? should I try it and see if it helps? it is what I have right now and I don't really feel like running out to the store to get the sulfa. I'm just a bit overwhelmed with life right now.
I don't really know the answer to that. I am a fairly new chicken mom and if this vet hadn't helped me I probably would of lost my chick and maybe the flock. I'm sure better safe than sorry. If it were me I probably would give it to my chick.

Anyone else here have some advice for Sheeshshe?

Well it's a sad day
sad.png
th.gif

Now I'm worried because mine free range all day. There are so many now with 16 that I'm sure the hawk would get one or two for sure. So sorry ChicksNherps.

Sorry for your loss! Always seems to be the best ones that get it too.

That said, it is hawk migration time, so they are out in force bulking up for their flights. I have been plagued for the last week or so with a flock, yes a flock of six, of Cooper's Hawks. They all hang out in the trees around the yard watching everyone free range. Luckily(?) for me, I have a large cat population that hangs with the chickens all day long, and I really think that keeps the hawks at bay. Provide shelter and cover for them to get away from the hawks, and trim their feathers around their eyes so they can see while free ranging. If they can't see, they haven't a chance. Supervise and let them out only when you can supervise.

Back
Top Bottom