Silkie x Frizzle = Frazzle?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
I have some eggs from a Silkie x Frizzle pairing and my mom wants me to incubate them. Though I’m concerned that since frizzle x frizzle couplings make a frazzle because of their feather mutation, that something like that would happen with a Silkie x frizzle mix. I don’t want to hatch any birds that will suffer the whole time. Does anyone know what these two breeds will make?

I have some eggs from a Silkie x Frizzle pairing and my mom wants me to incubate them. Though I’m concerned that since frizzle x frizzle couplings make a frazzle because of their feather mutation, that something like that would happen with a Silkie x frizzle mix. I don’t want to hatch any birds that will suffer the whole time. Does anyone know what these two breeds will make?
I believe that a normal silkie x frizzle will be a frizzled silkie? Is the silkie you have also frizzled or just a normal silkie? @LynnaePB or @LadiesAndJane might have more educated answers!

The gene which makes silkie feathering and the one which makes frizzle or frazzle feathering are different.
The frizzle (F) it's incompletely dominant to normal feathering (f+). This means that you'll have two different phenotypes if you have an heterozygous (Ff+, called a frizzle) or an homozygous (FF, called a frazzle).
You could get a frazzle only if you hatch eggs from two frizzle parents (25% of chicks will be frazzle), from a frizzle and a frazzle (50% of frazzle chicks) or from two frazzles (100% of frazzle chicks).
The silkie feathering, h, which stays for hookless (there are many little hooks which keep in place all the little barbs in every feather, without these hooks the feathering will be silkied) it's recessive. This means you can only get a silkied if thw chick it's homozygous for this trait (hh). So, the only way to get a silkied is to hatch chicks from two silkied (100% of silkied) or from two heterozygous, also called carriers (25% of silkied chicks).
I've seen some birds with both silkied and frizzle feathering and they look exactly like a frizzle would, but with "fur" instead of feathers.

So, from that pairing you'll get all carriers of the silkied feathering (but no one will show it). About the frizzle, you'll get 50% of frizzle chicks and 50% of normal feathered chicks.

The gene which makes silkie feathering and the one which makes frizzle or frazzle feathering are different.
The frizzle (F) it's incompletely dominant to normal feathering (f+). This means that you'll have two different phenotypes if you have an heterozygous (Ff+, called a frizzle) or an homozygous (FF, called a frazzle).
You could get a frazzle only if you hatch eggs from two frizzle parents (25% of chicks will be frazzle), from a frizzle and a frazzle (50% of frazzle chicks) or from two frazzles (100% of frazzle chicks).
The silkie feathering, h, which stays for hookless (there are many little hooks which keep in place all the little barbs in every feather, without these hooks the feathering will be silkied) it's recessive. This means you can only get a silkied if thw chick it's homozygous for this trait (hh). So, the only way to get a silkied is to hatch chicks from two silkied (100% of silkied) or from two heterozygous, also called carriers (25% of silkied chicks).
I've seen some birds with both silkied and frizzle feathering and they look exactly like a frizzle would, but with "fur" instead of feathers.

So, from that pairing you'll get all carriers of the silkied feathering (but no one will show it). About the frizzle, you'll get 50% of frizzle chicks and 50% of normal feathered chicks.
Agreed. Excellent explanation.😊
Just want to add that a frizzled silkie is also known as a “sizzle” and they look like a Silkie having a bad hair day.

Back
Top Bottom