Silkies gender game!

I

I had a Silkie hen that has fast growing waddles. I was so convinced she was a he, but she laid an egg. That's kind of how it is with Silkies - wait for them to crow or drop an egg.

I was told by a long time Silkie keeper that head poofs are a good way to determine gender. Hens have a more uniform poof while roos tend to have "streamers" poking out. Just longer feathers poking out of the poof.
I just wait for my silkies to fully grow their puff on their head or the tail. My rooster silkies always have their puff sleeked back on the hens just one big round puff. But then again mine are just the plain beautiful white silkies.
20240405_162449.jpg

1,3, and 4 look like females to me. 💗
2 is a male. 💙
Are you basing off of something besides the combs? I have a bunch of silkies this age and convinced they are all males because of how their combs look… some look just like 3+4 in these pics. I would love to be wrong and have some of mine be girls 😂

Are you basing off of something besides the combs? I have a bunch of silkies this age and convinced they are all males because of how their combs look… some look just like 3+4 in these pics. I would love to be wrong and have some of mine be girls 😂
The comb size, progression of wattles coming in, and the redness of them. Feel free to tag me and post the Silkies. I would be more than happy to guess on their genders. 😁

Back
Top Bottom