Silkies gender game!

BabsChickieNewB

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2024
4 week old silkies. 1 partridge, 1 buff, 2 white. Saw an article on U shaped combs vs V shaped combs to tell the gender (boy-U, girl-V) and it makes me wonder if you can tell earlier bc my chicks have very clear U and Vs at this age 🤷🏼‍♀️ might as well guess as we wait 😝
IMG_2546.jpeg
IMG_2548.jpeg
IMG_2557.jpeg
IMG_2568.jpeg
IMG_2571.jpeg
IMG_2574.jpeg
IMG_2579.jpeg
IMG_2583.jpeg

I think 1 is a hen, number 2 a hen, number 3 a roo and 4 a hen. This was a fun idea of a guessing a day.

Last edited:
That is strange that the one with the smallest comb has the fastest growing wattles! I’m eager for an update when you know for sure!

I
That’s the only one that has female attitude but also the only one with rapidly growing wattles. I wasn’t sure if that was the same as rapid comb growth seen mostly in males or not
I had a Silkie hen that has fast growing waddles. I was so convinced she was a he, but she laid an egg. That's kind of how it is with Silkies - wait for them to crow or drop an egg.

I was told by a long time Silkie keeper that head poofs are a good way to determine gender. Hens have a more uniform poof while roos tend to have "streamers" poking out. Just longer feathers poking out of the poof.

Back
Top Bottom