Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Here's a pic of Heni my 3 month old NN gray silkie.
Heni 4.jpg

Last edited:
If this were true, which it is not, how come there are silkie breeders advocating keeping crossbred birds for raising chicks? The chicks get stuck in the down when hatching. People think fluffy chickens are good for hatching, but actually the opposite is true. Fluffy chickens carry bacteria, poop and in some climates mud. The fluff insulates. This can work against you, the eggs need to be the temperature of the hen, not the bedding. All these things cause horrible hatch rates. This is why you never see anybody with silkies raising 15 chicks, it's always 2 or 3. Beyond hatching, they can't effectively defend their chicks from minor predators and other chickens in a mixed flock. I guess it boils down to the definition of "wonderful mother". If the only mother you ever experienced was terrible, then I suppose she would seem wonderful.

Hmm? I see.

Have you ever had any before?

Yes I believe he did. They Could have been the dumbest silkies tho.

wow, someone really hates silkies
I thought silkie dislikers weren't allowed?

Friendly reminder that this is a thread that SUPPORTS all things SILKIE! :celebrate
Even negative silkie?

Last edited:
Hmm? I see.

Yes I believe he did. They Could have been the dumbest silkies tho.

I thought silkie dislikers weren't allowed?

Even negative silkie?
That one person was involved with the Silkie scorners thread. I was there once.
Now that the thread is gone, hopefully we won't have to deal with the silkie haters, as often.

I finally took some pictures, I'm sorry, there's alot lol. They're not the greatest but still. Here are some of my silkies...

This is Stud Muffin, my handsome boy

View attachment 1930349 View attachment 1930350 View attachment 1930358

This is CC (Short for Cookies n Cream). He's new to my flock and unrelated to everyone else here. He's still trying to find his comfort zone.

View attachment 1930359 View attachment 1930363

Most of the ladies. The coop is due to be cleaned and the girls got FF all over their crests lol

View attachment 1930360 View attachment 1930362 View attachment 1930361

Here are some of the Silkie feathered ameraucana x silkie babies that are growing out.

View attachment 1930365 View attachment 1930366 View attachment 1930368 View attachment 1930369 View attachment 1930372

Wow I was following this thread and stopped getting notifications and it’s shot up to 101 pages. Here are some of my silkies and my satin
View attachment 1930378 View attachment 1930379 View attachment 1930380 View attachment 1930381
And of course pictures of my hens doing what silkies do best BROOD CHICKS
View attachment 1930392 View attachment 1930393 View attachment 1930398 View attachment 1930400
Aww, such cute, adorable, lovely Silkies!
:love:love

I need help people. Hi, I haven to gotten many alerts for this thread buttttttt back to my problem.
My 8 week old chickens ( Wyandotte and salmon faverolle) were best buds. Well I got home and I realised I couldn’t find either. I heard chirping and followed the sound and found Veera (Wyandotte cross) but could not find Josephine (salmon faverolle) . I looked literally everywhere! And my dad said we can get another chick as currently Veera is alone in a coop with adult hens. Do keep in mind I went into the chicken place we got these two from and couldn’t sex the silkies so I got them instead. Now I’m left wondering if Silkies can be sexed as 8 week olds cause if they can I hadn’t my eye on a stunning real light splash silkie or a blue or a light light brown partridge. Thanks in advance for your help.

Veera and Josephine
AA7CF0A4-1826-4723-B499-E1457D5C084C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom