Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Oh no guys...I just found one of those notorious little red bugs in the corner of the broody pen :barnie

I've removed all the chicks that have hatched so they're out of harms way but I've had to leave the broody in there while I do treatment, she can't go back with my flock.

I'm glad I've caught it early and I'm going to go wild on them tomorrow, they're going to know about it :rant

We've had some very wet and humid weather here which is exactly the right weather for them to appear.

I've dealt with lice before about a year ago in my mams flock but never red mites. Guess there's a first time for everything :th

I'm using these, and throwing away that new bag of straw I bought, my guess as to where they came from.

Fizz will also get a bath in dog flea/mite shampoo to be sure!

IMG_1421.PNG

IMG_1422.JPG

IMG_1423.JPG

I also have this on order so I'll give it a go:

IMG_1424.JPG

Last edited:
Oh no guys...I just found one of those notorious little red bugs in the corner of the broody pen :barnie

I've removed all the chicks that have hatched so they're out of harms way but I've had to leave the broody in there while I do treatment, she can't go back with my flock.

I'm glad I've caught it early and I'm going to go wild on them tomorrow, they're going to know about it :rant

We've had some very wet and humid weather here which is exactly the right weather for them to appear.

I've dealt with lice before about a year ago in my mams flock but never red mites. Guess there's a first time for everything :th

I'm using these, and throwing away that new bag of straw I bought, my guess as to where they came from.

View attachment 1956233
View attachment 1956234
View attachment 1956236

View attachment 1956247

Oh no, I'm glad you found it! Good luck with the treatment, looks like it'll be effective!

I've been lucky with my current flock but with all the local wildlife we have as well as mild winters and high humidity I'm sure it's just a matter of time. :rolleyes:

Oh no, I'm glad you found it! Good luck with the treatment, looks like it'll be effective!

I've been lucky with my current flock but with all the local wildlife we have as well as mild winters and high humidity I'm sure it's just a matter of time. :rolleyes:

I'm glad too! They're horrible little bugs that can still appear no matter what you do.

I've always taken preventative measures against them but sometimes they can sneak in...like in bags of straw :barnie

However, all my poultry is housed in woodland. We get pheasants, wild birds and squirrels etc all the time. Of course, they can't get to my birds directly but when they're landing and sitting on top of the coops and runs etc it's bound to happen. I just wish it hadn't happened when my hens chicks were hatching :hmm

Never mind, I'm quite looking forward to the Red Stop Solution arriving and giving it a go. It may be worth me using it year round if it's any good.

That might be tough to bre

View attachment 1956233
View attachment 1956234
View attachment 1956236

View attachment 1956247
Good luck with curing them! I hate lice! This past spring my poor crossbeak silkie that I got from a hatchery had lice and their eggs were all over her wings! Poor thing was skin and bones before we cured her with some cat and dog lice drops and all the rest of our chickens. It was so sad because we had to pluck the feathers that had eggs on them:(. Luckily now she has grown her feathers back, gained a lot of weight, and is back to her old self again! Since then we have a lice-free flock!:)

View attachment 1956233
View attachment 1956234
View attachment 1956236

View attachment 1956247
Are you still going to sell the chicks even though there is a possibility of mites?

Edit: just wondering, I am not going to criticize you.

Back
Top Bottom