Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Oooohhhh.. maybe i will write up a house chicken how-to!
Go for it!

Yes adorable fluffy crest however impractical at times.... My Chickaletta, 5.5 yr old, is super smart - pulled very long grass straight out my pullets mouth saving her! And shes never had any health problems at all! She's very switched on and knows what's going on. She's the Queen mumma in the flock and I hope all her offspring will be like her! They learn from the best and she doesn't give them up till at least 4 months old.
Aw, what a sweet story!

I just wanted to drop in and share my top 3 roos of the year :) I can't wait to see what they produce next spring! The show girl has proclaimed leadership of the flock so I'm assuming I'll end up with lots of show girl babies lol

20201017_104117.jpg
20201017_104302.jpg
20201017_104417.jpg

Last edited:
Good Saturday lovely silkie fans! Not sure if this is the right thread to post this. There are so many silkie threads on BYC, this one has the most traffic lately. 😊
My questions are for the breeders out there. I keep my silkies with large fowl in a mixed flock. My only cockerel is with them and they all get along well. He is becoming more amorous and is trying to mate everything!
My pullets are not quite ready for this attention, but he is not tormenting them yet anyway. I have been keeping a close eye.
1) should I separate him until the girls get bigger? I think he is OK for now. Hear an occasional squak when he tries to grab the back of their necks.
2) should I separate the silkies when I want to start breeding them? I have the one boy and three pullets. Asking as will his mating all 11 girls I have including the large fowl affect his fertility? He will of course try to mate any of them that let him!😂
Thanks for any advice!🥰

Back
Top Bottom