Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Sorry, I do not. I am still learning about the color genetics myself. Hopefully others will chime in! 😊
I do like all different colour Silkies so don't mind what they end up, although prefer some leakage of the red and would love to keep the long tail for boys. My cockerel is son of rooster and has the long tail but other cockerels (I have sold) have not had the tail. I couldn't help but keep him because I love his colouring and tail. His comb and wattles are just right too.

..also, how many generations would you breed before adding in a fresh rooster?
I got all my originals from a breeder and all but 1 died (my 7 yr old hen) the others were pullets and 1 other hen who was sick already -but me not experienced then and didn't know :( I took in a rooster and had chicks so that is where I'm at now, rooster mating pullets and 1 hen. I think my originals were interbred waaaayyy too much and had problems from that. So if I'm going to breed with cockerel (son of rooster) how many generations is best?

Hello, everyone! If everything works out I will be getting 20, 6-10 week old silkie chicks tomorrow! They should all be white but I will see what they guy has. I might get Chip a boyfriend while I'm at it.
For anyone fallowing my adventure with Chip she just gave me her 2nd egg today!
Did everything work out and you got 20 babies!? Pics!?

I have a little girl with male streamers. I haven't seen anything like this before. She is half the size of our other boys. All the boys mount her. I have her in now with a rooster that hates other roosters and he leaves her alone. Very interesting development
20201207_104112.jpg
20201207_104229.jpg
20201207_104039.jpg

Anyone know what colour chicks I'd end up with if I breed my red pyle cockerel to white or black Silkie hens?
-- I want more chicks but my calico roo is not doing the job anymore I don't know why, but my cockerel in other coop is providing fertile eggs but I don't want to breed with red comb silkies (I just kept them to keep cockerel company)
I love all the different colours rooster gives me, splash to red pyle to black, white. Such a shame he hasn't been fertilising... I have 7 chicks now but not sure who's the father since both boys were in the same coop.
I'm thinking to swap the boys over.
View attachment 2447225
View attachment 2447228
View attachment 2447238
View attachment 2447240

I think what colors you might get is a tricky question due to unknown genetics. I'm not really convinced your rooster is red pyle either. Looking at him I would think a eumelanin restrictor gene like Co (Columbian) is more likely as he has a lot of black in his tail and some on the wings. If he was red pyle which has dominant white involved the black feathers would likely be more randomly placed. The red on his wings is likely some sort of autosomal red. From what I've read autosomal red is really difficult to breed out of a line so I would think you should probably see it showing up in non recessive white offspring fairly frequently. Recessive white offspring shouldn't show it as recessive white is typically very good at covering other colors. I would guess he may have a chance of carrying one recessive white gene as his father had some white offspring so paired with another recessive white carrier or a recessive white hen you could get some white chicks. I'd think you'd have a good chance of having some interesting colors result from breeding him. If he is carrying a Columbian gene which I believe is incompletely dominant you'll probably see that passing on to some of the non recessive white offspring he sires.

I don't know enough about Columbian genetics to guess very well at what you might get though. :confused:

I'm sure some more experienced with genetics might be able to answer more knowledgeably. I'm still learning and trying to wrap my head around a lot of it! :lol:

I could be wrong about the red pyle thing though. If he is actually red pyle paint may become a possibility for some of the offspring as both paint and red pyle have dominant white involved.

If you try using him I'd love to hear what sort of offspring you get, he is such a pretty boy! :love

I have a little girl with male streamers. I haven't seen anything like this before. She is half the size of our other boys. All the boys mount her. I have her in now with a rooster that hates other roosters and he leaves her alone. Very interesting development View attachment 2447770View attachment 2447771View attachment 2447772

Wow, there is no denying that little one has some really obvious streamers! I've heard of it happening but I've never seen pictures of it until now. Thank you for posting them! :D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom