Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
5.5 week old Silkie, strange comb? Sticking up single? Doesn't look like a normal Silkie comb to me, what do you guys think? (white fluffy) might need to try zoom in..

IMG20201223130545.jpg
IMG20201223130606~2.jpg

Some of the other 5.5wk old pics for comparison..
IMG20201223130919.jpg
IMG20201223130619.jpg
IMG20201223130153.jpg

Photos today of the two that I’m keeping from my recent hybrid hatch. Sold the rest and have another 9 scheduled to hatch on Thursday, No polish crosses yet!
Iris is the darker one and is half olive egger and half silkie and Paloma is the blue one, half splash ameraucana and half silkie! They get along just fine even though there’s about a two week age difference. 5 days old and 19 days old today!😊
B080B8C3-1705-4FEE-91FB-7350E0AC4EAB.jpeg
DE9546B8-BA33-4E12-9BC2-255FE4BBDD25.jpeg

5.5 week old Silkie, strange comb? Sticking up single? Doesn't look like a normal Silkie comb to me, what do you guys think? (white fluffy) might need to try zoom in..

View attachment 2460409
View attachment 2460411

View attachment 2460412
View attachment 2460413
View attachment 2460414
From the pictures I can't tell a very big difference. It could just be a roo and the comb growing. I don't know all about combs so maybe someone else can chime in.

Photos today of the two that I’m keeping from my recent hybrid hatch. Sold the rest and have another 9 scheduled to hatch on Thursday, No polish crosses yet!
Iris is the darker one and is half olive egger and half silkie and Paloma is the blue one, half splash ameraucana and half silkie! They get along just fine even though there’s about a two week age difference. 5 days old and 19 days old today!😊
View attachment 2460432View attachment 2460433
I love baby chicks!

View attachment 2460409
View attachment 2460411

View attachment 2460412
View attachment 2460413
View attachment 2460414

The comb looks like it is probably a single comb to me. They'll pop up sometimes even if no parents are single combed (I've got several chicks with very similar looking combs that popped up in my last few hatches). Single combs are recessive so the gene can be hiding in the parents. Reading up on silkie comb genetics I've also read the rose portion of the comb can die leaving a single or a pea comb depending on whether the comb is a modified rose or a walnut comb.

If you want a more in depth look at the genetics that are or can be involved in silkie combs this is the article that really helped me to understand silkie comb genetics better. :)

https://www.chickencolours.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/What-Wattles-lowres.pdf

The comb looks like it is probably a single comb to me. They'll pop up sometimes even if no parents are single combed (I've got several chicks with very similar looking combs that popped up in my last few hatches). Single combs are recessive so the gene can be hiding in the parents. Reading up on silkie comb genetics I've also read the rose portion of the comb can die leaving a single or a pea comb depending on whether the comb is a modified rose or a walnut comb.

If you want a more in depth look at the genetics that are or can be involved in silkie combs this is the article that really helped me to understand silkie comb genetics better. :)

https://www.chickencolours.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/What-Wattles-lowres.pdf
Thanks for the info. I have hatched (well my broodies have) quite a few chicks now and I've never seen a single comb before but have seen a couple of red combs. I want to stick to pure Silkie so I am not breeding with the red comb Silkies. Is the single comb not pure silkie? .. And by any chance could this be a little cockerel do you think? (I know extremely early so probably a far shot at a guess) as they are 5.5 weeks old and some have raised combs showing already I'm kinda guessing those are going to be little cockerels. I could take some more pics tomorrow if that might help? ... But I know its waaayy too early to make a good guess!

... sorry just read in the article the answer to my question about breeding the single comb...

' Breeding is combining with the other sex. A single comb isn’t a problem, offspring will have a rose comb again. '

Back
Top Bottom