Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Alright ladies, I've got some sad news and some questions. I have just figured out that my GORGEOUS red pyle silkie is a rooster. I already have 2 roosters and now I have 3 over 7 hens. Needless to say, I need to get rid of 1 of them. I have a Blue, White, and now Red Pyle roosters. My hens are Buff, Splash, Black, White, Silver Partridge, and I'm looking to add other partridge and paints. Which 2 of the three roos would you keep for the prettiest chicks?
@LynnaePB @LadiesAndJane

Oh yeah that is a tough choice! Red pyle is dominant white over red partridge in silkies I think (at least that is what the breeder I got some red pyles from used to make them). In other breeds it is dominant white over black breasted reds but we don't have those in silkies. I'd think you might get the widest variety of colors using the red pyle, including the chance for some paints (albeit probably with red leakage).

I'm so excited! I think I only got 2 cockerels out of 7 hatch! They are 3 months old now and I sold my single comb cockerel and I think I only have 1 cockerel left out of the others!! He's so cute I have to keep him!! He has a full crest looking like a female and no streamers but he's bigger in size overall and a larger comb .. And I have one with red leakage that is probably a girl!! .. this is pic of my possible cockerel...Isn't he so cute!!? He's so friendly too, follows me everywhere and always under my feet when I'm weeding.
View attachment 2521084
View attachment 2521086

And this is possible pullets with red leakage..
View attachment 2521095

And coz I love red leakage I'll add a pic of my cockerel in my other coop..
View attachment 2521099

Wow so pretty, I'd want to keep him too! I really really like the color of your boys with the red leakage! :love

Alright ladies, I've got some sad news and some questions. I have just figured out that my GORGEOUS red pyle silkie is a rooster. I already have 2 roosters and now I have 3 over 7 hens. Needless to say, I need to get rid of 1 of them. I have a Blue, White, and now Red Pyle roosters. My hens are Buff, Splash, Black, White, Silver Partridge, and I'm looking to add other partridge and paints. Which 2 of the three roos would you keep for the prettiest chicks?
@LynnaePB @LadiesAndJane
Pics? Red pyle I'd choose for red leakage!! Does your red pyle look like my cockerel?

Pics? Red pyle I'd choose for red leakage!! Does your red pyle look like my cockerel?
This is MR. Opal a couple months ago.
DSC_0884.JPG

Oh yeah that is a tough choice! Red pyle is dominant white over red partridge in silkies I think (at least that is what the breeder I got some red pyles from used to make them). In other breeds it is dominant white over black breasted reds but we don't have those in silkies. I'd think you might get the widest variety of colors using the red pyle, including the chance for some paints (albeit probably with red leakage).
Is it possible to put roosters on rotations? Like keep 1 or 2 separate and whenever I want the colors move them around? @LadiesAndJane

Is it possible to put roosters on rotations? Like keep 1 or 2 separate and whenever I want the colors move them around? @LadiesAndJane
I don’t see why not though could be a little tricky as the hens can continue to lay eggs from a rooster for up to three weeks. You wouldn’t know for sure which chicks came from which rooster unless you keep them separated about a month in between rotations.
I have no personal experience with this please remember. I am just getting into breeding this year as well!😊

I don’t see why not though could be a little tricky as the hens can continue to lay eggs from a rooster for up to three weeks. You wouldn’t know for sure which chicks came from which rooster unless you keep them separated about a month in between rotations.
I have no personal experience with this please remember. I am just getting into breeding this year as well!😊
Thank you! I just hand raised my white rooster and can't process getting rid of him and yet I want the coloring of the red pyle!

You could definitely rotate them. You may end up needing to have only 1 with the hens at a time and two separate pens for the extra boys since once they get separated they may not accept integrating with each other again.

I've rotated mine before. It does take a few weeks for the eggs to no longer be fertilized so if you add in a new boy you want to hatch from I'd wait a month before hatching eggs to ensure they are his offspring. Alternatively if you have three separate pens you can wait until you're seeing no bullseyes in the eggs to add in a new rooster after you've taken a rooster away. This is what I've done since I have multiple individual pens for some of my boys. It only took around 2 weeks to stop seeing any bullseyes the few times I've done it. I think it can really depend on who the cockerel/cock is though.

I'm thinking your boy with the red leakage is probably a columbian grey after seeing him so disregard what I said about maybe getting paint (since he won't have the required dominant white). If he was a red pyle the darker feathers he has would have been more randomly placed since the pigment holes in dominant white are not very uniform. I'm sure you'll still get an interesting variety with him probably with red leakage at least in a lot of the male offspring. :)

You could definitely rotate them. You may end up needing to have only 1 with the hens at a time and two separate pens for the extra boys since once they get separated they may not accept integrating with each other again.

I've rotated mine before. It does take a few weeks for the eggs to no longer be fertilized so if you add in a new boy you want to hatch from I'd wait a month before hatching eggs to ensure they are his offspring. Alternatively if you have three separate pens you can wait until you're seeing no bullseyes in the eggs to add in a new rooster after you've taken a rooster away. This is what I've done since I have multiple individual pens for some of my boys. It only took around 2 weeks to stop seeing any bullseyes the few times I've done it. I think it can really depend on who the cockerel/cock is though.

I'm thinking your boy with the red leakage is probably a columbian grey after seeing him so disregard what I said about maybe getting paint (since he won't have the required dominant white). If he was a red pyle the darker feathers he has would have been more randomly placed since the pigment holes in dominant white are not very uniform. I'm sure you'll still get an interesting variety with him probably with red leakage at least in a lot of the male offspring. :)
His dad was a blue and his mom was white, buff, or black.

Back
Top Bottom