Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Goodbye Georgie,
You were once full of life, always cuddling with me when I had a bad day, making me smile and laugh at your cuteness. You did not deserve to die. You had so much left to live and I don't want this to be the end. You were the most curious chick I ever had but most important of all you were my best friend. I will miss you so much, my little furry angel.
I am sorry.:( I hope you feel better soon.:hugs

Goodbye Georgie,
You were once full of life, always cuddling with me when I had a bad day, making me smile and laugh at your cuteness. You did not deserve to die. You had so much left to live and I don't want this to be the end. You were the most curious chick I ever had but most important of all you were my best friend. I will miss you so much, my little furry angel.

View attachment 2850308
I am so sorry.:hugs

Ok, I've always heard that silkies are just the best moms, super broody, etc. But I'm gonna say: My broody silkie IS THE WORST MOM EVER.

She gets off her eggs, lets them get cold and then i have to literally have to catch her and force her back on her eggs to get her to keep them warm, she IS broody, simply an awful mom, when she sits on her eggs, she only sits for about 2 hours then gets up for about 3, then I've gotta get her back on the nest, plus she uses the bathroom on her eggs.
It's so aggravating, if these chicks were just going to be for me to keep- I wouldn't really mind that much, but they're not for me, they're for a first time customer.
Junia (the broody silkie) did great for about 5 days, then after that she's just done awful!
My Wyandottes are better moms then her!
2 days ago, she left her eggs overnight and then sat on the in the morning, I believe they're all now dead when I candled them this morning! And to think she only had 5 days left. I'm still leaving the eggs under her seriously hoping they'll hatch!
Just thought i'd share. I'm so skeptical to ever let another silkie go broody again.
Dont hatch from her eggs then.
Unfortunately it does happen that a Silkie is a bad mum.
2 of mine killed their chicks! One went around every few days and jumped on them killing them and also kept roosting high only when a few days old so chicks couldn't keep warm. One of the daughters of hers I was silly to let brood and she jumped on hers aswell, I rescued them and 1 survived from that lot unfortunately.
Lesson learned, don't hatch from bad mother's, just eat their eggs.

I keep trying to tell him that doing stuff like this is perpetuating the stereotype that silkies aren't the brightest tool in the shed. 😜
He doesn't listen. Just continues to sit and stare at the wood.
View attachment 2850302

On another note, as cute as bearded silkies are, I'm kind of already over pulling beard fluff out of their eyes. I really need to trim but haven't lined up the me thinking about it and having someone to help hold at the same time.
That's why I prefer non-bearded, but most of mine are bearded with super fluffy (eye-sight obscuring) crests... But super cute 😍

Goodbye Georgie,

View attachment 2850308
Oh so sad 😢 it's always upsetting when a gorgeous fluffball dies 😞 :hugsRIP Georgie

I think they'll be fine. I love how Biscuit looks like he's inspecting everything 🤣 is that his comb sticking off his head?
Yep that's Biscuit! (And his comb) He's ALWAYS hanging around me and inspecting everything! And now that he is the only man left he doesn't get chased away and can do whatever he wants - including sitting right next to me and having a pat.
It is so nice to have flock harmony now, it's so quiet without the other roosters and less stress all round! I only have 1 flock in my main coop now 8 chickens, so easy clean in a minute!

Jade had a photo-shoot today 🤣
IMG_4315.JPG IMG_4328.JPG IMG_4329.JPG IMG_4311.JPG IMG_4312.JPG

Back
Top Bottom