Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
I would say like 5. She is so cute! :love Good luck with your hatch!!
Thanks! 🥰
She is one of my most beautiful silkies.
Unfortunately she will have nothing to do with any roosters., though I would love to get chicks from her.
So, maybe she will be a good broody, we will see. She is a little crazy though, so hopefully she’ll set the full 3 weeks. Not putting any valuable eggs under her though, just a couple of mixed to test.😊

Thanks! 🥰
She is one of my most beautiful silkies.
Unfortunately she will have nothing to do with any roosters., though I would love to get chicks from her.
So, maybe she will be a good broody, we will see. She is a little crazy though, so hopefully she’ll set the full 3 weeks. Not putting any valuable eggs under her though, just a couple of mixed to test.😊
Sounds good! :)

What breed is she hatching out?
I just placed eggs from Astrid pictured below. She is a very large chicken but I have seen Eko mating her several times so hopefully they are fertile. I believe she is half red sex link and half Marans, though I am not certain.😊
6CC68273-ACB3-4AA7-9AD6-97BE9D141BD9.jpeg

So, I thought I would give Layla a chance. 🥰
Set up a brooder for her in a dog crate.
She is just settling in. She is a little wet as I just sprayed her with a little permethrin before she sets for real.
How many eggs should I give her? She usually sits on 2 fake eggs. I put 3 fake ones in there while the real eggs are coming up to room temp.😊
Eggs are full standard size.View attachment 2852461
Good luck, I hope Layla turns out to be a good broody! :fl 🥰

I still haven't given mine much of a chance to hatch since the few times I've started to let them try they do silly things (like not keeping the eggs under them very well). I bet the three eggs you have given her will be a good number for a first timer. 😁

Oh! So egg-citing!!!!! Maybe try 3 eggs? As they are bigger and it is her first time.

Unfortunately overnight Smokey (first time mum) left 2 eggs out of the nest (out of 5) maybe she kicked them out accidentally I don't know. They were cold and hatch is Tuesday. I put them back under her but I haven't got much hope!!! 😭
Meanwhile Puff has only 3 possible eggs left in her nest. So looks like I won't have many chicks 😞
I was hoping for lots of chicks this month so they will be ready to lay before Winter! Not happening. And now I won't have eggs from the 2 broodies for months!
...and most that do hatch are probably roosters!!

Aww I'm sorry it isn't looking like you'll get many chicks! I hope the ones that got kicked out will be ok and hatch anyway. :fl

I unknowingly pulled the plug out of my incubator right before bed one time with eggs on day 17 and found it off the next morning. It was off at least 8 hours probably a bit more. They were quite cold when I found them and most didn't look good on candling. I candled again a few hours later once they'd been warmed back up for awhile and they looked much better (all looked healthy again and were moving). The hatch went well, and they still hatched in the expected timeframe (I was so relieved I didn't accidently kill them)!

Good luck, I hope Layla turns out to be a good broody! :fl 🥰

I still haven't given mine much of a chance to hatch since the few times I've started to let them try they do silly things (like not keeping the eggs under them very well). I bet the three eggs you have given her will be a good number for a first timer. 😁

Aww I'm sorry it isn't looking like you'll get many chicks! I hope the ones that got kicked out will be ok and hatch anyway. :fl

I unknowingly pulled the plug out of my incubator right before bed one time with eggs on day 17 and found it off the next morning. It was off at least 8 hours probably a bit more. They were quite cold when I found them and most didn't look good on candling. I candled again a few hours later once they'd been warmed back up for awhile and they looked much better (all looked healthy again and were moving). The hatch went well, and they still hatched in the expected timeframe (I was so relieved I didn't accidently kill them)!
Wow! Mine have hope then! :fl
Smokey keeps flattening the nest I think so the eggs more easily roll out from under her, I keep layering bedding like a wall around her to help keep the eggs in the nest!
... Puff on the other side makes herself a safe egg nest, she's like a pro on her first hatch - this is her second time. Her mum is my 9.5 year old who is the best mumma ever so she must have got some good genetics from her.

Since it’s been so long since I’ve posted any photos 🤣, thought I would post a few of my bantam flock free ranging today. Sitting outside with them enjoying the fall sunshine.😊
Odoriko (new beardless silkie) is getting used to her new family.
Little partridge girls went home to their owner.View attachment 2853801View attachment 2853802View attachment 2853803View attachment 2853804View attachment 2853805View attachment 2853806View attachment 2853807View attachment 2853810
Aww all your birds are so cute 😭😍😍

Back
Top Bottom