Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
You rehomed Mili and Vanilli?! :eek:
I know right!?
I thought I posted it here...I've had problems with Mango off n on since Vanilli started going broody. Then the construction of the new coop really made him angry and he began attacking me.
So I posted him a time or two after I go over the initial shock of it. I worked with him and worked with him...he'd had good days then bad days and very unpredictable.
So once I began introducing the babies to em he wasn't having it. And even Vanilli and Milli were just not adjusting so I think it was someone here that said I needed to consider my goal for the chickens and what I really wanted and so I decided to keep em together rather than separate em.
It was hard but I believe it was the right thing to do.

Yes!!! So yesterday, she was pretending to be soooo uninterested in the chicks.. i swear she was even whistling w her toes crossed.. then when I let my guard down, she went straight for the tiny silkie. I figured, ok, let her "win" and it'll be over.. but nope. The little chick laid flat and she still went after her! So i grabbed her and then put the babies away.

I don't know whether to pull all the chicks out of the mini coop and put her in there, or just leave the silkies in there (but they are so bonded to the rest of their little flock). It's just another instance where this big fluffy butt is causing problems. The polish are too big at this point to be in there, so I need to make some sort of change.
I would put her in the mini coop by herself (or with Elsa if she is still a problem) for about a week for a kind of "time out". You can leave her (them) in there for awhile while the others settle in the new space. Let her (them) back out after the week under observation and then hopefully things will be better.😊

Apologies, I keep forgetting they come in a LF version, too! I have personally not seen them.
My adult girls weigh about 1000 g at most.
My rooster is a bit bigger than average at close to 1.5 kg.😊

silkies here are sort of small LF. hens usually are about 1200 g but can be bigger. I didn't weigh my hens but I think they are about 1400 g. I plan to increase their size by selective breeding. silkies only, not crossing them with the other breeds. my aim is to get hens at least 1800 g and roos 2000+ g.

Look at these besties, sunbathing together ❤ 😍

20220130_120113.jpg

Yall the chick bug bit me hard...all yalls fault! 😃
So a guy that has a farm is on his way to get Mango, Milli and Vanilli. They've both been BROODY for a week and no eggs!
I've been lockin them out of their little coop in an effort to break their broodiness.
I looked out the window and I see Milli sitting on a make do nest she made out of hay thrown in the run!
I didn't think anything of it til I let Mango out of the little run one last time and he goes over and uncovers a little egg!!!
I've been watching for her to lay so I could get one last one of HER's specifically cuz she is a light splash in an effort of a pretty blue baby!
My grandson n I brought it inside so that gives us 1 of hers and 6 of Vanilli's that are all we have left!
Incubating TOMORROW!!!
I'll miss these first little cuties but I pray they will have a happy time on a farm!
Awww that little egg is like a farewell gift from Milli! Fingers crossed that all your eggs will hatch :fl
He is big! How old is he? Floof is a pretty boy :thumbsup

Okay everyone...the first chick has hatched!!!❤❤❤❤❤❤
My heart melts 🥰 Congrats!

I candled earlier today (day 5) and 7 of my 9 shipped mille eggs are developing beautifully! My 8 eggs from my own flock here are all developing nicely so far as well. Just starting to see the start of some dancing today in both the shipped eggs and mine, it never gets old! 🥰
:weeSo exciting! Fingers crossed that all 15 eggs will hatch 🤞🤞🤞

Photos of the Littles eating this morning. They quickly figured out how to eat and drink and get under the heat of the brooder plate. I just love the happy sounds they make when they’re eating, it’s one of the nicest sounds I know!🥰View attachment 2975851View attachment 2975852
😍 Oh I LOVE them!
Now I'm looking at those gorgeous babies and imagining those happy sounds wit the pictures 🥰 So heartwarming!

Such gorgeous babies!!! ❤️

I can't wait to see how some of Eko's little ones you kept look by the time they get to 5-6 months as well! 😁
Me, too! 😊

Well..since everyone seemed so interested, i decided to just open the mini coop door and see what happened!

Esmeralda seemed a bit rambunctious, but she has "bitten" me before, and it felt like someone was attacking me with a q-tip, so i just let her be.

Daisy did not like being charged at by the silkie roo, so a slight poof of silkie feathers went flying. That settled that.

Elsa did as I expect, charged at everyone, so i decided to just hold and pet her. She slept for a good 20 minutes, and since then seems pretty uninterested. I know she's waiting for me to turn around though.

Minnie is sort of steering clear of everyone. She is so sweet anyhow, i have no worries with her. Pretty much i never anticipate damage from the D'uccles.

Oh, and gigantic Esmeralda has decided to move into the mini coop and not leave 🤣 even though she can't stand up in the thing!

Life will be easier when i can get everyone sharing the same coop at night. We will have a freeze overnight Wednesday, so ill try to get the sleeping settled before then. More bodies will keep everyone cozy.

Oh, and no one has given the teenie tiny silkie any issues! I was a bit worried for her.

View attachment 2977066View attachment 2977067View attachment 2977068View attachment 2977069
That's so awesome that the integration went so well :woot
Esmeralda is such a funny sweetheart 😂
Did Elsa stay 'calm'? ...Oh I just read the update :(

What a sweet group (when Elsa behaves!) 🥰

😁 Okay! 😁 My daughter wants to name the Brahma girl Isabella (Encanto character of course) but the MF doesn’t have a name yet! She’s so sweet! I carried her around the poultry show and she just chilled with me, no spazzing at all 😍 I clearly need to get them into a bigger quarantine pen today that has a roost…she kept climbing up on top the waterer to sleep 😆 and those big feathery feet kept slipping on the plastic haha. I love them already!
😍😍 Omg how cute they are! Beautiful! Congrats!

Alright everyone!!! I have 5 sweet little silkie babies! There's still more eggs in the incubator so I'm hoping more hatch but here are some pictures of my fluff babies!!!❤

Attachments

• 20220129_092316.jpg
    20220129_092316.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220129_154436.jpg
    20220129_154436.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220128_142018.jpg
    20220128_142018.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220130_131954.jpg
    20220130_131954.jpg