Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Aww congratulations on all the cuties!!! 🥰

Those bent toes happen sometimes. They can be caused by late hatching, vitamin deficiencies or malpositions. Whenever I hatch one like that I make them band aid boots to straighten the toes up. As long as you do it within the first couple days it is a really easy fix. I cut out the gauze portion of the band aid leaving me with the two sticky parts to either side of it and then sandwich the toes between them (making sure they are very straight when placed on the band aid). These boots are small and light enough they still get around pretty well. I leave them on for 24-48 hours and that usually does the trick. 😊
Yeah in talking with @LadiesAndJane I found on BYC where you could use masking tape. I didn't know they had enough energy to squirm like it did when I was putting it on!

This is only my 2nd hatch but these have been very sleepy and lethargic. They finally got up to eat at my coaxing...not much drinking unless I dip em still...but we have a couple poops! Progress slowly!
They are super tiny!!!

Ok.. last pic for the day.. i guess i can't keep sitting here with the chickens 🤣

Bambina relaxing in her content safe chicken life *spoiled*
View attachment 2998795
Why not!?! I am!!! I just can't decide which ones to sit with more....the 3 month olds or the day olds!!!
Currently with......... 🥁roll please.....

IMG_20220219_163503_633.jpg

Anybody have tips on cleaning silkie crests? My girls have dried mud clumps stuck to their crest feathers and it's driving me nuts. I'm not sure what to do. I'm about to bathe them but I have no idea what to about their crests. I've only washed their bodies in the past.
I would just use a wet washcloth and rub the crest with it.. i do bathe my chickens on occasion, but i don't get their heads covered w water.

Gorgeous :love
So here's a few pics of the 4 wee ones!
Can yall see the one in last pic that has a "bent" toe? What's up with that?
It walks as well as others do.
Oh wait...my bad all those r of the bent toe baby! Lol
They are beautiful ❤️
The baby with the bent toe could have a curled toe - when my little James (he was the last one who did hatch) did have this on one foot this article and especially the pictures from LadiesAndJane helped me dealing with it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/corrective-“shoes”-for-chicks.76391/
After two days James' foot was normal.

Fred and Barney update pics!! 😍

No denying Fred, he is so tall and vibrant, with his super spike hairdo.. funny he usually hides in the brooder, giant chicken little!! And one butt pic.. because look at those pretty saddle feathers!! I really hope he is backyard compliant and i can keep him 🥰

View attachment 2998661View attachment 2998662
View attachment 2998668

And here is Barney.. he is just growing so nicely. He has some streamers starting, but so far hes so sweet and easy to handle.

View attachment 2998671View attachment 2998672

Here is Pebbles and Fred hanging by the waterer.. Pebbles is finally getting some more crest feathers coming in to even out her do!

View attachment 2998679View attachment 2998681

I keep thinking I'm done w pics, then more come out of the brooder!!

Here is Bambina (since shes a she) with Wilma and Barney at the waterer. She doesn't need a step anymore!! Still teenie, but she can hop-fly effectively to reach everything she needs.
View attachment 2998680View attachment 2998682View attachment 2998678

Anddd you can see the imaginary border where the two groups don't cross!! Well except Esmeralda, who spends half her time in the brooder she's too massive for :confused: Betty is in the corner with Wilma.
View attachment 2998690
Look at them 😍 They are all so adorable! Bambina is so tiny 🤗
How cool that Barney does have a forums- twin: Snow 😃
BOBS SIBLINGS ARE HATCHING MONDAY🥳🥳🥳🥳 i can’t wait!!!!!!
Awesome! Fingers crossed :fl

Unfortunately the 2nd egg that was pipped passed in the shell. I also candled the 3rd egg this morning and did not like what I saw, I did a egg-topsy and sadly I was right. The chick must have passed around the time they went into lockdown. The surviving chick is very strong and was moved into the brooder this morning. She will have to be a singleton until Tuesday when Rural King gets in a shipment of chicks. I hope to find someone who will split a order with me as I only need 2 or 3 siblings for her, but if not she will get the minimum 6 siblings.
My mom and daughter have named her Ezzie.
View attachment 2998836View attachment 2998837View attachment 2998839
🥰 Ezzie is precious! I'm so sorry about the other two eggs :hugs
That's great that you will get some siblings for her ❤️
Why not!?! I am!!! I just can't decide which ones to sit with more....the 3 month olds or the day olds!!!
Currently with......... 🥁roll please.....

View attachment 2998945
Ok last ones...cant help myself!
I know once they are more alert I'll never get em to cooperate...hence I never did any of this with the first hatch!
That's the cutest car load ever 🤩
Anybody have tips on cleaning silkie crests? My girls have dried mud clumps stuck to their crest feathers and it's driving me nuts. I'm not sure what to do. I'm about to bathe them but I have no idea what to about their crests. I've only washed their bodies in the past.
My Teddy's crest looks like this at the moment/since several days (...weeks?...)
IMG_0141.JPG

and I wondered if I should wash it. I had to wash some messy backsides in the past which was no problem (they all really enjoyed the hairdryer afterwards, lowest temperature level), but I was and am very hesitant to wash Teddy's crest/head.

Back
Top Bottom