Silkies - They’re simply SPECTACULAR!

Trying to get a head-count on silkie lovers...

• ME! - I like silkies!

Votes: 796 96.0%
  • ^

Votes: 96 11.6%

• Total voters
Cruella and Estella (CC and Stella) both started squatting today! :celebrate

Hopefully they’ll start laying soon!:fl

I found an egg the other day that was the size of a Silkie egg, but it was a different color. Unfortunately I forgot it was in my coat pocket and accidentally broke it 😅
PuffPuff still hasn’t started laying again after being broody, so I’m hoping it was from one of the Polish!

Puff took her 8 chicks out of the coop today for an adventure
IMG_20220222_105607.jpg

IMG_20220222_105556.jpg

I noticed one (yellowish with spot on head) has lighter beak /feet .. if I keep this one is it best not to use it for breeding because it may pass on this trait?

My Saturday hatch went pretty well. Two malpositioned babies didn't make it to hatch but the other 10 did (1 was also badly malpositioned but I got to her in time). No definite mottled or mottled splits this time, all the chicks look either black or paint. I finally got my first Nn baby from my mottled/split Nn boy and his paint (maybe) mottled carrier partner though! Out of 10 eggs incubated only 1 of 10 got the gene. 😂

This pair makes the lightest skinned paint babies, I'm guessing the mottled influence.

View attachment 3000750
Congrats on the new babies! This little one is so sweet.😍
Sorry for the losses.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely no expert (only hatched once and was lucky, from 15 shipped Silkie eggs 12 hatched) - shipment is always kind of a gamble (with any breed), there can happen so much one will never get to know when they are on their way. What time of the year did you get your shipped eggs (temperatures)? Where did you buy your Silkie eggs (both times) - from a breeder or a private person for example seller on ebay?
Both batches were from eBay and I'm on my second set now

My Saturday hatch went pretty well. Two malpositioned babies didn't make it to hatch but the other 10 did (1 was also badly malpositioned but I got to her in time). No definite mottled or mottled splits this time, all the chicks look either black or paint. I finally got my first Nn baby from my mottled/split Nn boy and his paint (maybe) mottled carrier partner though! Out of 10 eggs incubated only 1 of 10 got the gene. 😂

This pair makes the lightest skinned paint babies, I'm guessing the mottled influence.

View attachment 3000750

Oh I'm so sorry the other two didn't make it. :hugs

Ezzie sure is adorable though and I'm so glad she is doing well! I hope it won't be too complicated getting some little buddies for her! :fl

You always get the cutest pictures of your adorable little youngsters! Barney and Betty sound so adorable together! :love

Oh goodness what a gorgeous pair Mirabelle and James are! I'm so glad the carrier helped with their relationship! 😂❤️

Shipped eggs are just such a gamble. Sometimes you get great results and others the whole batch might never even attempt to start development. I haven't found that my silkie eggs tend to be much harder to hatch than other breeds except sometimes when a baby has a large vault which makes malpositions more likely. Shipped eggs though have always been trickier. I do find being more hands on at hatching time is sometimes required for better hatches with the shipped eggs. I've had too many malpositioned babies from shipped eggs that couldn't pip properly at hatch so I candle often during lockdown and usually add a safety hole when I see an internal pip. Once I got more hands on like that I lost a lot less babies at lockdown with shipped eggs. Quitting earlier in incubation or not starting is hard to prevent though. Do you treat your shipped eggs any differently than non shipped? I've found letting the eggs rest at least 24 hours after receiving them before setting has seemed to help (as long as they didn't arrive in hot weather which can start incubation and they need to go in sooner). There are so many methods to try to increase the eggs chances when shipped but a lot of it still seems to be luck. I personally try to incubate upright at least the first 3 days and don't turn the first 2-3 days. Depending on how the air cell looks will affect how I position them the rest of incubation.
I set after the eggs have come to room temp but usually don't turn for the first few days. I have an Rcom so I can't keep the eggs upright but I'm beginning to wonder if having them on their sides makes it worse. I'm down to 3 eggs and I've decided to turn by hand for the rest of the hatch. I noticed the air cells do some weird things when the incubator turns them vs me in the first week.
I usually hatch quail and don't have much problem with them.

Cruella and Estella (CC and Stella) both started squatting today! :celebrate

Hopefully they’ll start laying soon!:fl

I found an egg the other day that was the size of a Silkie egg, but it was a different color. Unfortunately I forgot it was in my coat pocket and accidentally broke it 😅
PuffPuff still hasn’t started laying again after being broody, so I’m hoping it was from one of the Polish!
Funny, i have been putting eggs in my pockets.. i know ill break one soon too 🤣

I am heartbroken. I picked up silkies who were shipped in a tiny box and the roo died. I cannot understand how people can do that...
Oh no - that's awful - what a shock...I'm so very sorry 😔 :hugs
How are the girls doing? Must have been so traumatizing 😔
Yeah it is absolutely incomprehensible how people can do this. It's so extremely careless. Really sad and infuriating!

Back
Top Bottom